Gmc 5500

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Creteus, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    All I can say is don't buy this truck. Its the biggest piece of $#!^. Its no wonder GM has to shut down half of their factories. Used to be die hard chevy man but the past two that I bought cost me more in money, time, and soul than any other car manfacture. This 5500 has only 47000 miles on it and its broke down 5 times. The gauges quit working and now its on the side of the road waiting on a tow. Duramax??? Dura what?? Made by IUZ_U!! I've had three Fords. One I sold with 220,000 miles on the original 460 running strong and another a powerstroke with 147000 miles still on the driveway laughing at the gm in the shop. I'm done complaining. FORD ALL THE WAY!!!!

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I think the problem is the foreign motor it is not American

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Matt drove Chevy's and GMC's most of my life for comfort but when work needed to be done on the "farm" it was always Ford, dads choice. His road truck was also a Chevy.

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll stay away from that one.
    Bill

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    noo no no no u want dodge my friend. get yourself one with a hemi.. if ur lookin for power u got all youll ever need and MORE.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well i have to agree about the duramax i recently quit my job after 16 years all the company trucks are either chev or gmc and for the most part have held up fairly well considering the idiots that have driven them but the last two both 01 models one chevy and one gmc both crewcab 3500 4x4 with the durmax/allison trannys are pure junk ill stick with my 01 powerstroke

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    man i hope yal are kidding. i just bought a 2006 duramax 2500. i didnt want to pay the extra 5k to buy the ford for just a work truck. i do have a 97 f250 powerstroke with 190k miles. had a little trouble out of it with a fuel leak that ended up costing me 1800.00 bucks to fix but thats all since it was new. i will say this i saw 2 duramx trucks (new) that had leaks at a couple dealerships and then come to find out the one i got had a leak too. not impressed with the fuel mileage on the chevy so far. my ford is 4wd and gets 18-20 and my chevy 2wd and gets 16mpg. i only have 3k miles on the chevy so far. keep my fingers crossed.

8. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Michael, if you had a Ford with 190,000 miles and still going, why would you by a Chevy? :tounge_out: I have a 2001 250sd and love it. 96,000 and going strong. Love that Power Stroke.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nitro it took me a week and half to get my ford fixed. im my business when the truck dont roll there isnt no money rolling either. had to do something fast but i figured it maybe getting close to that time for a new truck also. not that i lost faith in my ford but a new truck is a tax write off for me. i wanted one with the work bed on it also. real handy so far. i think they all have problems and some just junk from the start. it really depends on how they get treated too. the only reason i bought the 97 was the chevy dealership pist me off. same one did it again on this 2006. so i went to another dealership and bought the same truck for 900.00 less. i mean same ser# truck too. like i said the same truck in a ford was 5000.00 more too. thats 833 dozen blue back herring at santee. chevy had the best rebates. fingers crossed!

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I once had a dodge bout 2 years ago. A 3500 4X4. Transmission went out in six months and it got traded in on the 02 powerstroke on the driveway. The Ford out pulls the dodge running on 7.:lol: Although I have a couple thosand in mods under the hood:cool2:

11. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Take the GMC (or Chevy)and roll all the windows down. Drain all the fluids, and push into the lake. Makes a good fish attractant.... J/K

1999 4x4 Crewcab superduty has 291,000 miles and have yet to do anything but change the batteries, alternator, and water pump. We have thousands of trucks in our company mostly fords and they've always done right by me.

One recommendation for anyone wanting a diesel wait til the 08's come out. There's going to be some problems with the lubricity in the diesel on the 07's. But that's just my opinion....

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    creteus have you made any modifications to the duramax?
    as far the structure thing i may take you up on that but i got to see for myself first. i know im going to get at least a 100k out of the motor and 200k out of the allison because thats under chevys warr. then we going to make structure.

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    No Mods on the Duramax. I'm too teriffied to touch that engine. Heard of alot folks that have. Theres a web forum for duramax trucks called diesel place. you can find out any recalls, problems or hear the duramax will last forever type news. its not much different than the BOC. Good luck and let GMC handle all your fluid changes until the warrentys are up.