Glueing carpet to aluminum

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Seth, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Is there any drawbacks to glueing carpet to aluminum instead of wood? The carpet on my jon boat is coming unstuck. I'm not sure if this is due to old carpet, bad glue job, or just that aluminum isn't very good for glueing carpet to.

Let me know what you think. If you suggest not to recarpet it, should I put some of that rubberized coating that Cabela's has on it?

Here's what the carpet area's look like. On the back deck you can really see how it is coming unglued. When I drive down the road, the back corners start flopping around and now have started tearing a bit.

Attached Files:

2. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    i am sure someone with more expertise (i have none) will answer you, but in the meantime, it seems to me the main thing would be to rough up (sand) the aluminum so the glue can grip it. never works to glue or paint a smooth/glossy surface.

jmho

have a good one

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Use the gel type non flameable contact glue and it won't do that.

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Can you give me and example of that type of adhesive? I've searched but I just keep finding the same old stuff. I don't think it is what your referring too.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll look in my shop tomorrow and get the name of the stuff i used and where I got it and post back for yea.

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    if price aint the problem i would go with gorilla glue...its kinda expesive but its waterproof