Glue / Adhesive for Bait Tank Fittings?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by SmokinBarrel, Jul 1, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    What type of glue did you use for the fittings on your bait tanks? I used PVC cleaner/cement and it seemed work okay. I think there is better? It doesn't appear to have "VERY GOOD" hold on the plastic the barrels are made of. What about Gorilla glue, caulk, or something else?

Thoughts, experiences?

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    What kind of fittings are they? If it's something that you can tighten down you can probably use rubber seals or o-rings. I've done that before for things I thought I might want to take apart. You're not talking about much water pressure so it doesn't take much to make it not leak.

For anything that needs to be sealed permanently that will be underwater, I only use 3M 5200 sealant. It's made specifically for underwater applications. I haven't had it fail yet. I think it takes 2 days to fully cure, but once it does you won't have to worry about it, and it's tough. Not sure how well it works as an adhesive, but it should work pretty well. You may want to use something else to hold them together and seal them with the 5200 sealant.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Marine epoxy. There's several setting types. The longer the set the more permanent. Try walmart. I used the stuff that took 2 days to set, 2 years ago and Have'nt had a problem yet. I dont think I'll ever get it apart either..