Glucosamine and Chondroitin for dogs..

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by catfishjohn, Oct 25, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Hey Doc,
    I have a question about giving my Rottweiler Glucosamine and chondroitin. We've been giving him the stuff from the pet shop for a couple months and it really seems to be helping out his back hips. He seems to be more active and gets up and down easier than before, still not great but better.
    My question is, is there any difference in what the pet stores sell and what you buy for humans besides the price? If its the same stuff I could save a lot of $ by getting the other. If not, I don't mind getting the G&C from pet shops, he's a really old dog and I wanna make him as comfortable as possible for his remaining time with us. If its ok, how much would I give him of it?
    Also, since I've been giving that to him I haven't been giving him Aspirin. Would It be safe to give him both and how much aspirin with it?
    He's around 160-170 pounds and somewhere in his teens age wise.
    Any info and help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!!!

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mornin' John.

You are lucky to have a dog this size live into its teens John. You have been doing something well and the dog has responded.

There is a plethora of these drugs available in pill, capsule and liquid form. I prefer the liquid form. Some dogs won't break down pills or capsules well or won't absorb it well. Liquid seems to do the trick. 6 of one and a half dozen of another where you get the stuff. Follow your checkbook balance. However, products and what they contain are amazing in their ingredients. If it is cheap that may mean exactly what it says. Make sure the product has both chondroitin and glucosamine and if you can find one and can afford it one with MSM (methyl sulfonyl methane). Compare labels from one product to another if price shopping.

Typically the dosage is 20 mg/lb or 1 500 mg tablet/25 lbs. You have to use these products at least a month before you can tell whether they are going to help.

Aspirin can be like a miracle at times for these dogs. If using glucosamine combinations you do not need too much aspirin. On these old dogs I like people to give them with food and a meal at or close to bedtime. Big dogs (shouldn't) be dosed as high as the recommended 10 mg/lb in my opinion. With your dog if you feel it necessary to use aspirin, use one or one and one half tablets twice daily. I usually suggest one tablet morning and evening. These old dogs should have food with it and use 5 gr buffered aspirin. 5 grs = 325 mg. I would bet my bippy one tablet at bedtime might help.

I don't sell anybodies drugs but I do like it when they present some information for folks. If you type on your searchbar "pet arthritis center" you will find some useful information. This a company selling a product now so take things with a grain of salt.

Other mechanical things we could discuss but it sounds as if you are on top of things.

Later, John, from John LOL.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks Doc,
    I appreciate the info. We've only had him for about 5 years or so. He's definitely well taken care of here. I think its our other dog we have out back with him, they are pretty much inseparable. His previous owners mistreated him pretty badly. I think he's just happy to have good owners now.
    When we started giving him the meds from the pet store he'd pretty much lay around all day and not move around much at all. After about 4 or 5 weeks on them he started getting up and moving around more.
    I used to take the G&C & MSN myself, never did much for me. I was hoping I could give him the human stuff, It really seems to improve his quality of life. I'll go check out the prices of the liquid vs. the pills and get one or the other.
    I'll probably hold off on the aspirin unless he's having a bad day when its pretty cold out.
    I thank you John and Harley also thanks you!

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I have been giving my old Dane MSM for the past year now, (she is 11) and on the bad days I give her 1 or 2 (depending) of the 81 mg aspirin at night, seems to let her get a good full nights sleep and able to hop up at 6 am and stare into my face, LOL, won't bark just stands here with her nose about 3"s from my face until I wake to let her out, LOL.(you would think after 10 years You would get used to waking to a big black cold wet nose) :smile2: Any who I give her a tablespoon of MSM every morning with her meal, was told that her body would take what it needed and she will just pass on the rest, this sound right to you Sir? or should I worry about backing it off some?

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Should be good to go Randy. Won't cause any problems.