glowstiks

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by katplayer187, Jun 4, 2008.

1. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    so i have 2 9' mh glowsticks and i love them so far havnt had them long enough to grab a big big cat on but for what i have caught and casting experience i like it alot.. whats the opinion you the other guys out there and im sure this wioll help someone thats looking into a new rod.. thanks fellas

2. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    got a pic??? when i thinkin of glowsticks i thinkin them lil tiny things i put on the end of my poles when fishin

3. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    Glowsticks are definetly a capable rods, a few of my buddies have hooked some really nice fish and they handle them no prob, But for me I like graphite instead of fiberglass for some reason there just a little stiffer. I thought about getting a glowstick just to put them to the test. I am sure the 9'er will handle 95% of the cats in the river. I too just got a new rod it is a W.W. Griggs GX it is 8'6" heavy action with a fast action tip, I put on a Shimano Corsair that I have had for a few years and love, on it. I bought it for channels but have already caught a 34" flat on it. I spooled it with 17# suffix elite, which I snagged up and had a tough time breaking it, I was amazed! Really impressed with the W.W. Griggs that thing is tough for a fast action tip like it has, WOW!

4. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    ya talkin bout the ugly stick rods that light up and glow???

if so i got one of them and so far is catless but seems sturdy

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have 3 of the Berkley Glowsticks in the 9' M/H spinning. They are decent rods and reasonable price around $35.00. There are a few things I don't like. The cork handles are not high quality, its like one piece cork as opposed to the 1" cork slices on better rods. The rods light up but in the WRONG place! There are 2 lights-one right above the handle and one where the 2 rod pieces join but none at the rod tip where you need it most :roll_eyes:! I guess my overall opinion is for the price they will get the job done but if I were going to buy a rod today I would buy another Catfish Safari rod. They are $80 plus ship.

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m happy with mine , they`ll handle anything in the river IMO.

7. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    I purchased a glow stick. For a Medium action rod it did well handling cats up to 30lbs. I didnt like the placement of the LED's. They are completely useless, unless you are trying to find the middle of the rod in the dark, and the bulbs only lasted about a month. Other than that, it is a good price for a glass rod.

8. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have three 9 footers and one 8 footer. I like the 9' better as they have a little more back bone. I landed a 57lb Flathead with the 9' rod with no problem a few weeks ago. I am confident it could handle just about any size Flathead. I landed a 53lb Flat the next weekend on the 8 footer with no problems, but I'm not sure I would be completly confident in landing a bigger cat. I fish in a lake. I would say if the cat got in some structure, the 8' rod would not be ideal in getting it out. I just set my drag light after I hooked him and let him tire out.

I don't use the lights on mine. I set them out in the sun the day I am going to fish and they will glow all night if you do this.

9. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I love them! Not because they light up although thats neat and helps you stand out to boats if yor night fishing . But they have a very good soft action tip for light flathead bites and plenty of backbone!Number 1 reason there not expensive only about 30 bucks so you can get 2 for the price of other rods!! Landed a 49lb flat last week no problem for my 8ft mh glowstick!!

Attached Files:

10. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive used a spinning verson of a glowstick and it works great for me