Glowstik Rods

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Catfishfan, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Catfishfan

Catfishfan New Member

State:
    California
  2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    I Bought a Berkley Glowstick 10ft 2pc with a Blue led lights built in, i like the rod the led lights are pretty bright when on, if u really want it to glow good get a good high powerd flashlight and hit it with that and it will glow great, the led lights do help the glow on it but imo could be better, i bought mine from Bass pro for around 50 bucks. Also when u are making ur way back to the car/truck turn on the led lights you can see the ground well :wink:

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I haven't used it yet but I bought an 8' Glowstick just a few weeks ago. It is a beefy rod. The weight isn't bad but it does have a really long and large front and rear handle. Seems like it will make for more comfortable fighting of a fish and does give you lots of rear grip room to cast. I paid $39 for it at Cabela's.
    I put a Shimano Cardiff reel (that I already had) on and loaded it with 65# power pro braid.
    Can't wait to give it a try for flatheads.

4. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    ONE thing i might add The Type of glowstick i have takes batteries The End Cap That comes up to the Cork Did Come Loose on me from Jamming My Rod Down in the mud at the river Bank i wouldnt Do that if u buy one , i put gorilla Glue around the cork better than new :wink:

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been using these rods for ohh 4-5 years I love mine (have two) for the money I think there way good ......I have landed several 20-30 lb blue/flattheads never once did they begin to let me down...thats not sayin your opion of them wont be different though...:cool2:

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive got a buddy that uses them, he sticks 30 and 40 lb. blues consistently. :cool2:

7. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    here some pics of the led lights in light and with the light off in the house

Attached Files:

8. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    glad you brought that up!! may have to get one myself!! shane

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  10. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I agree with ya there Bert. I want to see that "rod tip" when it is biting. Kinda hard to notice the bite when the rod is glowing right in the center or at the bottom. The tip is where the action is(that sounded funny). I too use the clip-on glo-sticks, highly recommend them.

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I'm with you boys with those thoughts.... "Cali-CatMan"....
    ....."Got to see the tip..."

Might be some great rods.... and make easier to see where your poles are when your eye gets "foggy" later in the drink...I mean night.....:smile2::smile2:

12. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    it does not have LED lights. i have 4 of the catfish model (and love them), the catfish model is LED, walleye is not. i purchased 3 of the walleye model, and hated them. a glow rod without LEDs is a complete waste of money. told cabelas their ad was misrepresentive (as it said LED lit rods) and they gave me my money back. apparently these are so unpopular that cabelas told me "you can keep the walleye rods, we are discontinuing selling them". IMO that tells you everything, if the seller doesn't think they are worth the cost of shipping, they must be junk.

regarding the LED lit catfish model, these are my most used poles. i have two of the casting models and two of the spinning models. I chose the 9 foot length because it was the shortest rod that had a 1-5 oz weight rating (the 8 foot model is 1-4 oz rated).

i agree that the tip doesn't get lit up perfectly, but i just add a small glow tip to it and it is perfect. regarding those that use only the glow tips on standard rods, i personally don't think it is enough. without the rod lit up i find it hard to get good depth perception and sometimes with just the tiny glow tips my eyes fool me . . . i think the tip is moving, when it isn't. by having the whole rod lit up, and a 1 inch glow stick on the tip, everything is perfect.

part of the reason i am so picky about it, is i am usually monitoring 4 poles at once. usually when i go out at night i have to watch my two poles, and the two poles for my daughters. if all i had was 4 one inch glow rods, this would prove to be impossible.

i paid $45 each:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

for the glow tip i used the following brand:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

this pack of glow rods comes with many adapters that fit various poles, bobbers, etc. but once i used up the glow sticks, i purchased replacements on ebay, as they were much cheaper.

13. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    I use the glow tips get em at Wal Mart really makes fishing at nigh easy you can enjoy beverage and sit back swatting mosquitos n not worry bout missing a strike. oh and they look puurty siling across canal when ya kinda sirta forget to release bal n heave ho teh bait out kinda takes the ohhhcrrr8888app outta foolish things waching purtyy strem of green sail thru air LMSFAO