Glowstick's use or not to use?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by varmint_sniper, Sep 20, 2009.

8IN GLOWSTICK'S TO USE OR NOT TO USE THATS THE QUESTION

1. YES i use Glowstick's and have had suscess with them

2. NO i dont use Glowstick's seem's like i dont get a bite when i use them

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Well guys weekend before last i went to a spot that has produce at least 1 flathead a night sence aug with Dave we got some 8 in glow sticks to put in our floats (home made cat float's ) and we got skunked not 1 run then this past weekend i land a 22lb 2 oz flattie and dave has 1 break his new rod secend's after hooking it but we didnt use the glow stick's this past weekend . we fish anywhere from 3ft dwn to 8ft dwn my ? is do you think the fish can see the glow from the glow stick's and are avoiding out bait ? pls post if you use them or not and ur suscess with or with out them pls. NOT asking for ur sec. spots or nuttion just suscess with or with out glowstick's in ur flaots is all.......sniper

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i voted no because of what happened last time but i might give them a try again to see if it was a fluke not sure yet hope some fellow members will help me decide?

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no way would I use them on a bobber, a very unnatural lite source at night...but good for rod tips.

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I use a balloon for a bobber with glowsticks 90% of the time and I have a pretty good rate of catch. I get the green ones from Wild Wolf and they don't seem to bother the fish at all. I fish anywhere 1 ft to 8 ft using them. It is so cool seeing the glowstick take off then dive like a sub. Most of the people I fish with use them the same way as me.
    I bought some cheaper ones one time and when they came they were all different colors. It's not a real fair test on if they did as good as the fish were going into the spawn and the bite was real bad then anyway. I will not use them anymore on bobbers tho. I am still using those up using them to mark ankle twisting holes, rod holders, the net and anything else I might need to find quick in the dark. These ones don't last near as long. The ones from Wild Wolf I can still see glowing the next night and the cheaper ones lasted about 4-6 hours depending on color.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What he said!:wink:

6. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    we use them all the time on rod tips and we use them in our cat bobbers and have had suscess with them as a matter of fact two weeks ago my Dad caught a 26lber using the cat bobber with light stick withis bait only about 18 inches below the bobber. Now with being said the water we been fishing is real murky so if they see it they arent bothered with it but like Jack said it is a unatural light so in clear water I dont think I would use them

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This was a great idea will to ask this. Finally we dont have to argue between us...lol...Seems to be an aweful big coincidence to catch them one week get skunked that night then the 3rd weekend is the best of em all...it just doesnt seem to follow a pattern. The only variable that changed in the equation was our glowsticks.

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I catch fish all the time with glow sticks in my Kat Bobber. Its not a concern to me. My friend uses them too, we have never had a problem.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here, only exception is i use BIG oval floats that i get at bass pro. my friend (nightprowler) caught a 29lb this year using a float set about 5ft with one of those big Wild Wolf lightsticks on it. we also wore out the dink flatheads (3-10lb) in july using the same setup. i really dont think they mind the lightsticks. nothin like seeing that lightstick vanish! :big_smile:

10. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    AS LONG AS YOU DON'T USE A REAL BRIGHT LIGHT,I DO NOT THINK IT BOTHERS THEM AT ALL. YOU CAN SEE SHINNERS COME TO A LIGHT ON YOU BOAT AND THEN SEE BIGGER FISH COME IN AND SNATCH THE LITTLE FISH RIGHT UP. NOW REAL BRIGHT LITE WILL SCARE EVERY THING AWAY.:wink:

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    "nothin like seeing that lightstick vanish! :big_smile: "

Boy aint that the truth :0a37:

12. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    yes on rod tips no on bobbers

13. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I use them all the time on rod tips. And when I have the kids with me, I just give them a couple of them to play with and they are good to go for the night.

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I use the glow sticks some what an really have never had a problem with fish being distracted from them. Good luck fishing everyone.

15. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    If you can get them you might try red glow sticks.
    Jim

16. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive used them the 8 inchers fishin on the miss i tie them on my leader line to attract the fish some nights u cant tell the diffrence from the rods with or without and other nights the glow sticks outfish the the ones without ,dont know if this helps ive have caught fish with the glow stick hanging out of his mouth:confused2:

17. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i didnt vote yes or no, i dont use glowsticks when float fishing, i use the thill LED lights that you can turn off and on, they dont produce a light reflection onto the water like a glow stick does especially with the water proof light filter on them...

18. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm with flathunter. I use the glowsticks on my rods if I've got them spread apart a bit, but have only tried them on a float one time. I didn't catch anything on that float that night, but I still just think it's not good.

If you were using a float in 20 ft of water or more, it may not be so bad, but 3-8 ft. I'd assume the fish would see the light. I have used lighted bobbers fishing for channel cats and caught channels, but that was using liver and catching smaller channels

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have used Glowsticks quite a bit on my Katbobbers. I have never had a problem both on the Muskingum (murky) and Salt Fork (clear). That said, recently I have just used the bobbers with no light locked it down in a rodholder and let the circle hook do it's job.

20. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I use them on rod tips quite often. I try to avoid bright greens though. The dark red and blue seems to emit less light in my opinion. I try my hardest to be invisible while I fish.