Glow sticks under water!!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by MRR, Dec 28, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    A buddy of mine is toying with the idea of taking some of the glow sticks I got from Wild Wolf Products and taking and tying them about 2 ft from the hook.What you all think,Will this work or will it scare off the fish? I know for a fact you can use them under water cause I tried one in my sink for him and it was under water for 10 hrs and was still glowing.What i want to know is WILL IT SCARE THE FISH AWAY or Draw them to the bait. Should be interesting to see what happens (after it warms up that is).
    '

2. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    the only way to find out is to try it, go for it brother

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Most likely it will work, I have a light stick with the same color light but it's 3 feet long and it draws bait fish and all other kind of fish and I catch fish all night long.

:wink:

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks Wil We're gonna give it a try and see what happens.Gonna have to be a bit warmer for me to try that though. Rivers gettin a bit of ice in it down this way so be hard to throw from a bank just to test it. BUt you can bet I'm gonna try.
    Also this summer he's wanting to do some juggin on the Salt River at night and wants to put glow sticks in the jugs so he can keep an eye on where they are at.What you think of that idea.
    Anything is worth a try right!

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Got to try and figure out some way to catch thos elusive kitty cats. Short of dyanmite that is:wink: Oops I didn't say that did I.:roll_eyes:

6. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    Yep, should work well to attract shad and minnows. I just use a glow in the dark bead.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A long time ago back when Kmart had the blue light specials there used to be a little glowstick in a foil package sold for this purpose and catfishing.
    I actually bought a pack with no luck.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i dropped my flashlight in flathead honey hole this fall and it went out of sight burning but didnt seem to effect the bite none.:embarassed: sure would like to have my flashlight back though.:wink:

9. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    For the wanton waste, boating and swimming hazards, and litter matter it's better not to run jug hooks at night! Good luck!

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Where I'm talking about there is no swimming, no fast boats ,and if we have glows sticks in them we can see them at all times. Besides this river is probably 500feet wide where we will be at so shouldn't be no litter cause we will be picking them all up when done. Besides this is a experment just to see how it works.

11. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I tried this with no luck. We were fishing a night tournament and taped them to the line about a foot away from the hook. I notised that as the glow sticks got weaker the bite got stronger. Throughout the night we were caching gar and drum but no cats. At about five in the morning when the glow sticks were all out we strated hammering the blues. All the fish we weighed in were caught after we had no more glowsticks.:big_smile:

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi John, interesting post. I'd like to know how it turns out, so keep us posted. Be seeing you this summer. Later Andy

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have tried the 1 1/2 inch green glowsticks on my hook a few times. Just to see if it made the bait struggle more or spark the curiosity of a flathead. I didn't connect with any fish those times on either rods with or without lights. Not enough info to make a conclusion yet. But if you ain't trying new things you aren't learning new skills LOL.

14. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Glow sticks work well for jug fishing at night. The glow stick ON THE JUG, NOT IN THE WATER. They also glow under the water rather well and have tried them down to 50' and they did not burst or leak.

BUT
    I was trolling with a downrigger in a large lake for trout. The extra flash as the bait passed by definitely worked. At a shallower depth (doing the same thing) I also got into crappie and striped bass at 2' above the thermocline.
    I've even made small lures using LED's and hearing aid batteries that caught trout down to 100' at night, and crappie at 25'. Any kind of extra attraction works well for certain fish.​

HOWEVER
    Catfish are very sensitive to light and anything out of the ordinary is a red flag to them. If it is dark - fish dark. In my experience "they don't work for catfish" and I have tried it. NO BITES.

Any ideas you can come up with are worth a try, and that is how we learn. Keep it up.​

15. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    The above post was my personal experience and not meant as the gospel on glow sticks. I fish in clear water, mainly in ozark lakes and streams, and by have found that in my case - NO LIGHTS - for catfish works best.

If you will go to the top of the page, click on "search" type in "glow sticks" and you will find a couple hours of yes's and no's. Good luck.

16. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Guys, anybody here own/use the "Green Magnet"? I just purchased one and wonder if it does what it says it will. Yeah, I know.......... I couldn't help myself. Hey, it'll be well worth it if I throw the net less. Can't teach brother-in-law to throw good enough. That said, he's still a good net man. Please advise,
    Bigwhiskers

17. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good luck with that experiment. Let us know how that turns out.