Glow stick idea

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by webster_catman, Feb 16, 2006.

1. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    i just had an idea of how to use a glow stick while night fishing and wanted to see what u guys thought. I was thinking about somehow attatching one to my line around my bait to attract the fish or it will atleast attract the baitfish. do any of u guys think this idea would be anygood? or has someone ever tried it?

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well I have seen glow baits and boards and I have used glow in the dark bobbers and the small lighted round bobbers and seen something large hit them. I was fishing for cats and assume it was a cat. Guess you will have to test your theory

3. webster_catman

State:
    webster
    im not planning on usng them on bobbers. i wanna try using it while bottom fishing. but thats another reason why i figuredit would work. u know since they have lighted bobbers.

4. webster_catman

State:
    webster
    im still open to anybody elses comments or experiences trying this

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I use a 3ft. glow stick for night fishing and it works quite well when I use it on the bottom very close to my fishing line, it also attracts the crappie so I fish for crappie at the same time I'm catfishing. A very good idea for glowsticks !!!:)

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those lightstiks were originally made for that purpose, remember "lunker lights'? some time in the past folks started taping them to floaters and rod-tips. ive never tried it though on the hook.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

I used some last summer like this with this same wild idea and it did work.
    My wife and I were fishing for some cats and I did this by attaching it to the line with a small o ring I had and it works. I was use ing the little cheap ones from wally world . Green is all I have tried.

8. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I tried it last year with no luck, but I didn't catch anything on the pole with out one either, so I couldn't say if it works or not. I plan on trying again this year if I do any good I'll post my results.

9. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    My granddad took me crappie fishing one time and he had some jigs that would glow in the dark for a little while if you placed them under light for a sec to "charge" them up. Caught quite a few that night. I dont know if it would work for cats though.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'm gonna try it this year with live bait for flatheads. I'm just curious to see if it helps or hurts. I can just see it now my baby carp swimming as hard as he can waving this glow stick around in the middle of the night. It must draw some attention to him, right?

11. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I've tried it but can honestly say I dont think it has helped or hurt my fishing.

12. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I am currently looking into getting some kind of flourescent light that runs off of 12 volt and you put it down in the water (there are many on the market) to attract baitfish which in turn attract larger fish. Is this the kind of idea you are looking for or is it only something on your line?

:0a26:

13. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I wouldn't be against that idea but, personally I wouldn't waste my efforts with using that. I just don't believe that it could resemble anything natural that would attract big fish ? It may attract the baitfish, which in turn will attract big fish. But, is that big fish gonna attack the baitfish or the glowing thing that floats on the bottom ?

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Sorry I misspoke. I meant that there are many lighted baits on the market and more each year. I have seriously thought of attaching a hook just below my lighted bobber because I have seen it swallowed twice then spit out. Who knows you may revolutionize the catfishing world.

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Wow, thats a new one to me! I would love to get a picture of that!

16. webster_catman

State:
    webster
    i didnt really mean to use the glow stick as bait, i meant to use it just to get the real bait noticed. or to attract the bait fish to attract the bigger fish and when they see my bait they take it

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Well it wouldnt hurt to try. Ive seen cats go and hit a glowstick that fell off a bobber.

18. endy317

endy317 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Here where i live the bait shops sell these rigc that look like T's with a little float on the middle and an egg weight on the bottom ive go one and i put glow sticks on them and it works about 50% of the time .

19. bent_pole

bent_pole New Member

State:
    harrodsburg, kentucky
    Attaching them to line near your bait sound slike it would work. I have never used one though. Do they float? What about attaching them to yhe swivel that leader is tied to....would that work?:confused:

20. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

I have also thought about doing this, and I think I will try it this spring/summer. I hope I remember because it might just work..