Glow stick, Bottom Rig

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by puddle jumper, Dec 19, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I havent tried this yet but have been toying with the idea of adding a 6" glow stick to my leader line for bottom fishing at night,,

I was wondering if anyone has tried this??? I have used colored floats and that seems to work and I know the off-shore "salt water" guys have good luck with this type of fishing, :tounge_out:
    I know catfish are mostly smelling the bait, but would this help attract fish in clear water??? Or would the light run them off??

Im going to give this a try " If i can ever get back out on the water" but was wondering if anyone had ever done anything like this and was it worth a try???:confused2: Always looking for something new that brings the fish in...
    What do you guys think???
    Puddle

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    this is the first i have heard of this :confused2: look forwerd to all the input on this one

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Folks sell a catfishes sense of sight short. Don't know why. I'm thinkin ya may be on to somethin here. Keep us posted for sure. :wink:

4. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    hmmm interesting...looking forward to the results of this

5. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I like all of you are interested in possitive results. Catfish have excellent eyesite if they still have there eyes. I think that concept here is to attack bait fish, in which case attacks, bubba

I'm planning on trying it myself.

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Darn, I think you are on something. How to you plan on rigging it??

7. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I think if I was to rig one right now I'd have about 18"-24" leader, 8 to 10oz fixed no roll sinker and add glo stik above sinker about 12-18" to keep it off bottom ..

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've tried it and didn't do any good with it but that's not to say it wont work...but I didn't put months of effort into it.

My big problem was the line/leader tangling and the glow stick snagging me up. The best way I found was under a slip bobber...

g'luck
    -Jim-.

9. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Great idea, Puddle. I'll have to give that a try. Reps to ya!!

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've tried this as well at night and had no luck.

11. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    WE have tried this a couple times using the glow stick to pin a float on the leader ,so far i could not say it hurts or helps ,but that just me

12. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    never tried that may give it a shot

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it worked for night fishing, why would it not be a plus when fishing the depths in the day time? I think its an idea worth experimenting with.

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    As far as putting it on your line could you super glue a connecter at both ends of the glow stick and it could slide between hook and sinker? Jus a thought?

15. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Jim,
    Where you using a three way or carolina rig??? I was thinking carolina rig in deep water 40ft +, it the rig sets on the bottom right I would not think tangling would be a problem but I need to get out and try,,, Also If im not mistaken the glow sticks float so that would be like a float on you three way to hold the bait off the bottom for better scent ,,
    Just some thoughts on how it might work...:roll_eyes:
    Puddle

16. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    oops, I was thinking about trying this with a three way rig, not a carolina rig..:confused2:
    My brain shorts out every now and then,,,:tounge_out:
    Puddle

17. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    A friend of mine tried it and didn't have any luck with it,, But it did look pretty cool flying threw the air...:roll_eyes:

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Na, I didn't try a 3-way but that's prolly better than the Carolina rig I used.

A possible way is to slip a glow stick through one of those 3" crappie floats, the ones we use for slinky drifting. Use the glow stick in the float instead of the pegs that come with it....just a thought where ideas might spawn from.

Another thought I have is to use tight fitting, clear plastic tubing over the whole stick...Hmm...I like that one there ; )

My only worry is using the bigger sticks. During the blue fight that they may role/wrap it up into something.

-SC Yahoo Jim-

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  19. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Just showed this thread to Bo and he thinks it's worth a try. Thanks again for sharing it.

20. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thanks Deb,
    I've learned a lot on here and if its something that catched us all more fish, I'm for it,,,:smile2:
    Puddle