gloves on ,gloves off

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Kelmar, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
    After a couple of days of juggin, constant washing my hands after shad cutting and cat slime, my hands dry out and crack open. Wearing rubber gloves seems to help. Anyone got a better idea? Could be I'm just a "Big Ole Wuss".

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You said it. We didn't. LOL!

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You jumped on that one fast George , lol..... I dont catch enough fish to have to worry about drying out.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jim please don't feel alone. I have never caught anything bigger than a fryer and often wondered how on earth I would land it for pictures if I did!!:confused2::confused2:Sister Pat:big_smile:

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I guess I am gonna have to get up earlier, LOL!!!! You beat me to it George, LMAO!!!

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Mark;
    First of all, Welcome Aboard the BOC. :big_smile: I'm sure by now that Brother Fisher has instructed and tutored you in the fine art of Navigating the BOC website so I won't waste your time further on that subject!:wink:
    About your hands, the glove part is certainly one answer and, with some of the stuff that one finds in our rivers and streams, ... this might be the best protection you can get for your hands especially if your gloves are made to be "wet" such as a brand called, I believe, "Seal-Skins". Cabela's, Bass Pro, I believe, also has them.
    A friend of mine works with professional strength cleaning solutions and all at a private school and he has the same problems. He swears by "Corn Huskers" Lotion. You might consider giving that a try.
    You could also do some research on your computer to various sites to look up different Hand Creams, Gels, ect. Avon, Am-Way, ect, should give you a start.
    Off the shelf products at a pharmacy may help too. Ask your local pharmacist. Of course if the problem is an extreme one, you may want to check into seeing a Dermatologist. But, if it was me, I'd try some of the OTC stuff first.
    Hope this helps get you started. :wink: I'd say if the gloves work, and they are not too much of a bother to use, then stay with them.
    Just my humble opinions and suggestions. :big_smile: If you get the chance, and happen to remember to do so, I'd really be interested in knowing what your "final" solution turned out to be that works best for you!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Jug less. :wink: That should help your hands!

My hands dry out something terrible as well w hen I jug. Not to the point of cracking though. After jugging, I wash my hands good and pat them dry then lather them up in Aveeno lotion. Seems to work okay for me.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Are you really talking about the gloves, Mark, or just showing off your great catch? :wink:

Don't worry 'bout the gloves...I always land my fish with gloves on.

Yeah, they call me a wuss, but I invest too much time developing my calluses for guitar playing to lose them while fishing!

Welcome to the BOC!

9. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
    I know the big blue chemical gloves from Lowes are a bit much. I'll have to shop for something a little more "catfishin stylish". The seal skin gloves from cabela's look good. Now I have a good reason to wonder off to Bass Pro.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Glad we could help. LOL!

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have to wonder if it is not the type of soap you are using. you might want to try to get a kind of soap that will moisturize your hands and is free of scents. dove is a pretty good soap, and after you are done you can put some Udder Cream on them. it will help with the dryness and the cracking.

12. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Mark, Get with me and I'll help you land them!! I haven't handled too many this year. PM me for schedule. We're not too far apart.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Got the same prob ,but from different cause. I work in dry windy conditions and weld all day. Try Corn Huskers Lotion. It dont stink sissy and it heals cuts too.

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Guess you guys out there who don't catch as many fish as ol' Jim and I do...wouldn't know how it is to lose those silky smooth hands....the ones that the ol' lady likes...Lol. :wink:

No...seriously...I have tried that grey "Wonder Bar" like what they have in the BPS and Cabelas catalogs...they claim to remove tough odors....and it really does work!

I usually use Lava liquid or Borax powder to get rid of the slime...the wonder bar to kill odor...and then a odorless moisturizing soap or lotion if needed.

I'll tell you what REALLY works though to rid yourself of dry skin...Carona...it's a bag cream for cows....and it comes in a yellow plastic tube with a red lid.

Before you laugh...we raised five kids using this stuff for diaper rash...try it!!

I guarantee you'll be amazed!

you can find it in feed stores and in pharmacies...The Secret Is Out!!!

I bought a steel mesh cleaning glove to wear on my non-knife holding hand...not so worried about cutting myself...but it sure does help with keeping your grip...and avoiding getting spined.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah hes just wanting to show off his catch,come on fess up.lol
    Really though i dont think its the gloves i think its all the gunk from the fish.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Mark. If you weren't a newbie i'd say another vote for wuss but since your new i won't say it, I WON'T :smile2:.