Gloomy talk about our drive in theater

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Aug 10, 2007.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i heard on the radio some talk about the owners of our local drive in thinking of selling the theater and the prospective buyers are not interested in the drive in business but instead want to put houses in its place:sad2:.
    i have watched movies there since i was a kid in the 60's and my kids have watched movies there since they were toddlers and now it looks like maybe the tradition will not continue too much longer. it really is sad .
    my youngest is very disappointed.
    nothing better than a weekend movie with a cooler of sodapops and
    some chips and maybe grilled dogs or burgers enjoying a bigscreen in lawn chairs.
    i better watch as many this year with the kids as we can cause next year
    dont look promiseing for the SKYVIEW . what a bummer!
    http://www.skyview-drive-in.com/

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I hate to hear that. Both of the local drive-in's that used to be here are gone. One was replaced with a new subdivision and the other was replaced by Wolohan...Which went out of business there and now is a place that sells RV's. Last time I was at one was about 7 years ago somewhere in Virginia.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    We still hit the one here in Columbus every now and then.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Only one close to here is in Poteau OK. that about 30 miles from here.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have 2 left within a hours drive of us they are always jammed with us oldtimers taking our kids to see a outdoor movie! :smile2:

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    seems like most of them are closing down..Had some good times at drive ins though

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Darryl,You mean theres still a drive in left?? I havn't seen a drive in in close to 20 years,too bad vcr's ran them away.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I am really sorry to hear that. A nother piece of history going to the side. We still have a drive in here in Monticello. It has 2 screens and in stead of those horrid speakers that hang on your window the sound comes across your radio. Better the stero better the sound. After the movies are over they come out with jump packs to get cars going that have drained there batteries. It still packs people in and sunday morning they have worship in your car. I hope it stay around for a long time!
    Bill

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Several Years ago, The local amusement place (water park, go-carts, put-put, etc) refurbed a twin screen drive-in next to them and re-opened it. They had closed all the drive-ins for years before that.. Bulldozed all of them except that one.. Been going strong since ..
    Thats a fun, relatively cheap nite of family fun...

10. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    are they losing that much money??? the drive in we have up here is in henegar alabama and they mainly get their money from cokes popcorn and grilled food, we usually get a full meal for the five of us and the prise to get in for around 40$!!!! that is cheap considering movie and meal for five! i dont believe in sneaking food in like a lot of people up here do because the drive-in needs all the money they can get to stay open! besides it doesnt hurt to give to a good cause for a change!

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm very sorry to hear about your drive in. I haven't been to one in well over 20 years cause they tore em down.I remember goin to them though. It was a nice outing in the summer time. Boy now havin the sound come thru your radio I never been to one of those,that sounds really neat!!:sad2::sad2::wink::cool2 .~~~~~~~~Sister Pat

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post.... I grew up here in the Los Angles area and going to the movies use to be cheep...... going to the many drive in was part of growing up....maybe one left here out of the many we use to have......Hell, I dont go to movies now.....the seats are not big enough and the refreshments not strong enough....

Thats progress.....Yuk

bayrunner ray

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    We had one here in Henderson until last year. It was making good money and things were look'n up for the theatre but, money talks and the city bought it. Now it has a fire station plated in the middle of it (like we needed another one). It was the only one within 150miles of here. It is a shame to loose our past one piece at a time like this but, they call it progress, I call it BS!!!

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Darryl, sorry to hear that.

Out where we did live, Odessa/Midland, TX, in 2005 they open this 2 million dollar Drive-In and this year added a third screen.

I remember about 50 years ago when we moved there, Odessa had 5 drive-ins, all but one had 2 screens. The last one of those closed in 1980.

16. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    We luckly still have one close to where I live at.

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    they recently closed an outdoor rodeo arena & opened a drive inn in its place just a few miles from my house cant wait to go check it out, i remember going to them as a kid!!!

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I saw the article in the paper about closing the Skyview. That is a real shame. I loved going there in high school and college. It would be nice if someone bought it and renovated it.

19. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I love drive in theatres.Theres still 2 left within 40 minutes from me but 20 years ago there was atleast 25.So much for the good old days.

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Darryl.....what a shame. We had three drive-ins in Hickory at one point, but they've all been closed down now too. I have many fond memories of going to the drive-in with my parents and l'il sister as a child. Mom would stuff the back floorboards of the '64 Impala with the couch cushions, and top the whole thing off with a thick blanket and fitted sheet. If we got sleepy, our bed was right there. (Don't know what Mom and Dad did after we drifted off :wink:.)
    I can't really remember the movies I saw there when I was VERY small, but I do recall seeing the originals of the "Poseidon Adventure" and "Walking Tall". It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed being out in the open instead of cooped up in an enclosed movie theater.
    One of our drive-ins was open until I was in my 20s. We'd get a bunch of friends together, crank up the pick-up trucks and throw the camping mattresses and yard chairs in the beds, and just go have a ball. $5 a carload....you couldn't beat that with a stick :big_smile:.