Gloom, Despair, and Agony on Me

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Tulcat, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Deep dark depression, excessive misery.
    If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all
    Gloom, despair, and agony on me.....

Well yesterday I got laid off from work, and was headed home with all my junk in the back of my truck as my backseat was already loaded up for Keystone. Of course if poured rain on me to soak my stuff.

Then, I get home and get a call from my brother in-law who had dropped off our boat for repair last week, and he had got a call from the dealer that there was a major service/safety bulletin out on our motor and he could not have it returned by Keystone. So now I have no boat at Keystone and I spent most of the week getting ready 60 jugs, abouy 30 bungee and limb lines, and several trot lines that will now be staying home

And for iciing on the cake, my cable Internet was down all night from the storm so I couldn't even go online to cry about stuff.

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Tulcat, sorry to hear about the bad luck. My wife would tell you that one door closes so that another can open. I'll just wish you the best, at least the IT market is coming back around!

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Thanks Pete,

But I think I am getting out of IT as this is the second time in the last few years my job has been sent overseas. Time for me to move on.

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Holy cow...

When it rains it pours!

I feel bad for ya, bro.

But something will come along. Just be patient.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    about the IT switch. What do you do IT wise, network admin? I am a developer, and (knock on wood) have been luck so far. But that possibility is always out there.

6. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I've been a network admin before, but for most of the last 6 years I have been supporting Internet gateways (ISA proxy, and a little Checkpoint) for a major oil company.

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Yea the layoff has been a long time coming, so I have a few irons in the fire for something to do. Right now I need to worry about finishing packing for Keystone.

8. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    with whatever you pursue. You'll have our thoughts and prayers with you.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Pete

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I assume that Major Oil company is struggling to meet there quotas and all so they had to lay you off???? Thats really sad and I feel for you, I got laid off about 5 years ago and it took me 1 year to find another IT job, and 4 years later I still make what they offered me 4 years back and look for work every stinking day and to top it off, make 1/3 rd of what I did 5 years ago . Whoever posted "at least the IT field is coming back" has obviously read way too many newspapers and not experienced the IT job searching situation.

I wish you well my friend.
    "5 years later and I m still waiting for the new door to open" Salmonid (Dayton Ohio)

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tulcat,

Good luck in finding new employment.

11. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

The IT market in Tulsa is still terrible, as the largest 2 IT employers have both been through bankruptcies and are gone, and both of the dumped several thousand IT employees on the market. Today I would be lucky to get an offer of 50 cents on the dollar for what I was making.

But I have decided to move on in a different direction, but something I can't really discuss as negotiations are ongoing.

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Jim, I'm going to pick up my boat today, HWY 48 Marine said that its up and running, bring some of yer jugs and limblines, I may even convince my brother in law to bring his "ghetto boat". If nothing else, I'll run ya out to check yers when I check mine!!

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sorry about the earlier post guys, I didnt mean to be so negative when I should have been reinforcing , positive and not self centered.

So Tulcat, I sincerely wish you luck in finding a better job then you had before with more free time, less hours, better Benies, more pay. etc. They do exist if your lucky enough to find one!
    Just be glads you live in a part of the country where there is some growth vs the upper midwest where the cities are shrinking by the day and no new companies moving in. Thats a big Plus in your job searching!

Keep us updated on how your "irons" are doing!

Salmonid

14. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Hot darn Tony that is the best new I've had in a week!

I will pack some jugs and lines and we'll see what we can do.

15. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Guess I over generalized. The IT market in Charlotte NC is picking back up.

Good luck Tulcat.

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Jim,
    I used to love that song when I was young. When I grew up it developed a true meaning. Wishing you the best of luck in your job search.
    Cheryl

17. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Tony,

I have reconsidered your generous offer and on second thoughts I think I should decline. If you have spare seats on your boat, you need to take out others that have traveled from afar, instead of someone like me who can fish Keystone next week after my boat gets out of the shop. I'm sure for each spare boatseat at Keystone there will be 5 people in line hopeing for an offer to join.

Besides, I switched gears last night and packed away the jugs and started digging out surf rods for bank fishing. My nephew and I will still have a great time, and without tending to jugs and lines wil give us more time to visit and cook.

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That sucks brother, good luck finding a new job.

19. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Thanks to all for the kind words...

20. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Sorry about the mis-hap. I'll have a day like that every year or two. I've even gotten so riled about all the bad luck in one day, I just broke down and laughed histarically. It would've been funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Well... I guess it could've been worse...you could've had to get your prostate examined the same day..lol. Just don't bet any money on cards for awhile and you'll be alright.:lol: And may lady luck be with you!

-Red