glock stainless guide rod

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by scooter079, Aug 12, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    have any of you tried one of the aftermarket stainless guide rods on your glock i just got conned into buying one and wondered if i wasted my money or not

2. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    also does the recoil buffer really prolong the life of the gun

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive seen them but never tried one before,after you try it out let us know how it was,id be interested to found out how it went.

4. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    well i have not shot it with the new guide rod yet but its an exact match it fits very well and looks pretty good too Hopefully i can go shoot this weekend

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is that a replacement for the plastic one, I think Ive read where some Glock owners have had problems with the plastic ones and upgraded to the steel and loved it, good luck. Ive got concerns over the plastic one in my 9mm kel tec but have not read any problems about them.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been a glock armorer for years. The only time I've seen a plastic one break was at the base were it fits into the round notch under the barrel. If it's not installed fully into the notch, then it will chip off when you put the slide back on it. It hasn't jammed the gun that I've ever seen, but you have to turn it over to the round side when you put it back together until you can get a new one. I've got one glock with untold THOUSANDS of rounds through it and it's still on the factory guide rod. The main thing the aftermarket guide rods do is to make the person selling them money. It can I guess give you a little piece of mind knowing that it's in one piece just in case it slipped a little when you were re-assembling it after cleaning, but then if the steel one doesn't give, then will the gun function, don't know.

As far as the recoil buffer, I've never seen a need for one except on a 1911 shooting lots and lots of heavy loads for pin shooting matches. I've seen glocks with hundreds of thousands of rounds, and know of a couple with over 2 million rounds and are still going with no frame cracking problems.I don't know of anyone (average person) that can possibly shoot enough rounds out of one in a lifetime of normal shooting to batter the frame into cracking. The only frames I've seen that have had a crack have been because of a factory defect, and they usually took care of that. Oh yea, then there was the one that one of my officers had run over by a car, but then again, that's another story, LOL!

7. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Just out of curiosity, did you replace the guide rod because it broke? Or just for the heck of it?

8. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    got one cheap so i am just trying it out