Glock Model 23

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by cantstopgrandma, Aug 2, 2008.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Does anybody have anything bad to say about these? For some reason I've become enamoured by this gun. I talked to a guy at work, he loves his Glock 22 and couldn't say enough good about Glock. Went to the local sporting goods store today and looked at one. Come to find out the guy behind the counter has a 23 on his hip and Loves his, again cant say enough good about it. I've also looked at old posts here on the BOC and find nothing but good. I think I've pretty much got the wife convinced, I just like to do lots of research before spending that much money. Also, is it worth the extra money for the tritium sights? Your thoughts please folks.

2. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't know if it's true but I read that over 50% of all police departments use Glocks. Yes they are that good. Personally the fancy sites mean little to me. In a real combat situation you will never have time to use any site. Instinctive shooting learned from thousands of rounds is the only thing that works. Unless you are born with nerves of steel.

If you have ever been in a real car accident? Remember that feeling you had when it was just over? Multiply that by 10 and that's the feeling you get when someone pulls a gun on you. Now try to line up a site on that subject while realizing he has a weapon too. So you are torn between fleeing and fighting. That's why cops unfairly get criticized for firing so many shots at a subject. That's what it takes to get on target and to physically stop a human.

Just my opinion.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its a nice weapon.My wife carrys a G23, I carry a G22. She hasnt had any trouble with hers. We put about 200 rds a month through ours on a regular basis. IMO you cant go wrong with any Glock.

To qoute Tommy Lee Jones in the movie U.S. Marshals, "Get rid of that nickle plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock". :wink:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a freiend with a model 23 in .40 cal and he loves it. He carries it to school "yes thats allowed in Utah"

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Over half of the departments issue glocks, yes, but then again, they're government agencies that go for the lowest bid. I've had experience with glocks for over 20 years, over 12 years as an instructor, and they are very good. Just because they are very good, doesn't mean that there isn't anything that you might consider better!

It also depends on what fits your hand the best and you can shoot the best. I've been open to new developements over the years. The Glock was new technology in 1987, but there's been new things arrive over the years. I've recently switched to the Sig Saur P229 with the DAK trigger, not to say that it's better, but because I like it better. It's safer to disassemble, has the same trigger pull everytime like the glock, but smoother, and fits my hand better and the grips can be changed to fit different hands. Like I said though, I like it better and have a choice of what I carry between the issue Glock and what I get.

As far as using the sights under fire, it's what you train to do that makes the difference. YOU'LL DO UNDER STRESS WHAT YOU DO IN TRAINING. If you don't train to use the sights, then you won't. If you use them for thousands of rounds, then you'll use them without knowing it under stress. Several officers I've talked to after shootings have mentioned the sight picture, and how big it was! The officers that didn't hit anything, don't remember seeing the sight. The ones that did, said it was HUGE!

It's like I said in the past: Train like you'll fight, because you'll fight like you train!

6. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree with Vince. Personally I always carried a Sig Sauer P220 .45 until I began working with my current department. They offer a choice of a Glock .40 or .45 with night sights. I chose the model 21 in .45. The government likes to issue the Beretta 9mm to the troops but in my area that is not a popular choice. Glock makes a good weapon. I just personally like other brands better.

7. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I have a Glock 23 and love it, goes everywhere with me, has the tritium sights and I love 'em. Would recommend it to anyone.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The Glock 23 is probably the best self defense weapon that you can buy. It is by far the most dependable. Go to Glock's web site and see the torture tests that have been performed on their pistols. You can but any one of a number of pistols that will perform and shoot well as long as the conditions are good and the gun is clean. None of them however can take the punishment that a Glock can.
    I would say the number of police departments that carry Glocks are closer to 70%. Not just because they are less expensive. If that were the only criteria then Ruger or CZ would be what they would buy.
    As far as the tritium night sites go they are not worth the extra money to me. They do however add to the resale value of the pistol. If you plan to shoot at night then go with a laser. JMHO

9. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    like the others have said obviously its what feels good to you but for the money you really can not beat the glock i just bought a 23 about a month ago and have already put about 700 rounds through it and im goin today to shoot it more i love it i cant say anything bad about it. It is truely a simple semiauto and thats why its so reliable. Thats also why some people hate them (1911 guys) and dont get me wrong i love a good ole 1911 but they are so expensive and you can spend 500 and buy the last gun you will ever have to buy now as far as the tritium sights, i have them and love them but i got them for free so it depends if its worth the money to you I also got a 9mm conversion barrel to play with too and thats another great thing about glock most of the parts are interchangable after you get done reading this look at the after market for them you can actuallly trick them out like a 1911

Whatever you get good luck with it and let us know

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    I had a model 23 40 S&W It was a really good hand gun, I wish I still had it.
    I was stolen out of my truck while moving my daughter to school.

I replaced it with a Model 22 with night sights that were made in Isreal.

Its a real good pistol, Kimber and Karh also make very good pistols.

11. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I tried a Sig, dont remember what model, but the Glock fit my hand better. That's why i'm liking the Model 23 so much. I know its a compact, but it fit my hand better than the Model 22. I also found out that I can switch barrels and shoot 357 sig ( I dont know why, I might wanna shoot something different someday). I also like that the safety is in the trigger (not to mention the other safeties incorporated in these guns). If the stuff hits the fan I dont hafta worry about the safety cause if you're pulling the trigger the safety is off. Keep the replies coming everybody. I'm still waiting for someone to say something bad about it, besides the "it didn't fit my hand" or "its an ugly gun". Is there anything bad to say about these guns?

12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    love my glock 23 the only gripe i have is the mags dont fall out freely enough to suit me

13. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Good point scooter, mine were free too, so its hard to say 'if there worth it or not' i guess. my brother put them on there for me...don't even know what they cost. Hes a sheriff and carries the Glock 19, he uses the tritium sights as well.

14. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    OK, since you MUST have someone say something BAD...here is what I think is BAD about all Glocks.

Hummmm! Now that I really think about it....I can't think of a single thing!!:wink:

Sorry...but, I will ponder on it some more......

Oh! Oh! Oh! Now I remember! THE COST!!!!!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

15. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    My Pop carries an HK USP .40 compact while on duty, but when he's at home, he won't carry anything other than his G23. He loves it. Heck, I love it, I just prefer the 10mm round, so I carry a G29.

I rarely hear anything negative about the G23, and when I do, it's usually from someone who doesn't care for Glocks over all.

16. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm issued a Sig 220, nice gun but off duty I carry a Glock 33, basically a smaller version of the 23 chambered in .357 Sig. Been an awesome gun, absolutely love it, if you like the Glock 23 then go buy it, no reason not too. Oh, when I was in my shooting's I absolutely remember using my sights and everything was big time in slow motion. As was said earlier, you will react the same way you have trained so make it realistic and be serious but have fun also. Buy the 23, shoot it alot, be careful not to develop bad habits because they are hard to break. As far as the .357 Sig, it is powerful and literally a blast to shoot. The .40 is also a proven round though. For personal defense ammo check out www.doubletapammo.com, hottest stuff on the market, prefer the Gold Dot bullet. Chris

17. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I love Glocks but don't own one because of the simple reason the grip is not right for me. Make sure that on your draw the gun is in your hand properly when it comes out of the holster...My advice would be to find someone that owns one, go to the range with them and try it out...Just my 2 cents

18. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    I did it. I went and bought it yesterday. Now I've gotta wait the 7 days before I can pick up my brand new Glock 23. I am so excited. I dont even have it yet but I bought a 100 round pack of winchester wadcutters today. I do have one more question, what is a good self defense round in .40 cal? I have heard the 165 grain is good because the 185 has a tendency to overpenetrate, but what do you think? Obviously I want something in hollowpoint FMJ. Forgive all the questions everybody, this is my first pistol.

To OhioRiverCatfisher: I shouldn't have to worry about the draw out of a holster because I cannot open or conceal carry in maryland. Its virtually impossible to get a carry permit and open carry is illegal also. Also, the gun does not have a 6" barrel, so I cannot use it for hunting (maryland law). This will be a home protection / target practice gun, so no holster for me.

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd go with the 165grn Speer Gold Dots. They hands down outperform all the others in the gelatin/barrier tests as they expand after passing through ALL of the barriers, were the others either plug up or shed thier jacket. They've got a great street record too. It's been our issue ammo for quite some time and has done very well! It's a little pricy, but for what I'm carrying to save my life with, I'll spend the extra. I may not be worth it, but my kids seem to think so, LOL.

20. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on your purchase of an awesome gun, you will love it! I agree, the Speer Gold Dot is probably the best defense round out there, we have also tested them alot and they never fail to expand, even when shot into body armor. Double Tap sells them and they're loaded hotter than the standard Speer load, not bad price either. Here's the link for the 165's from Double Tap, http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=32, gotta love those ballistics, 1200fps / 528 ft/lbs- Glock 23 (4.0"bbl), and thats from your gun! I can't find the 165 grain ballistics from Speer but I guarantee they're not as fast or hard hitting. Keep us posted! Chris