Glock Hunting?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by shingman6, Jan 7, 2008.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I saw a show on tv the other day of these people hunting with a Glock,is this a good idear? This sounds farfetched!

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a Glock 23 and love it.I pack it with me since i have a permit,also when i hunt and fish but im not sure id use it to hunt with.Did they say what caliber they were using?

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Wouldn't be my gun of choice for the task. I suppose some peolple are proficient enough to use one to hunt with their glocks. Let me know how it goes if you do. Take some video.

4. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a Taurus PT24/7 40 cal. (Taurus's answer to a Glock) I have thought about hunting with at a stand I generally use for bowhunting because the maximum yardage for a shot is only 15 - 20 yds. I feel comfortable shooting at that distance as far as being accurate goes, just never have tried it.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hunting with the 10mm is catching on. Glock makes a fine one. I beleive several state police agencies are using them. Ballistics close to the 41mag. There's also the 357sig.; another "enough", gun.
    :big_smile:

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have seen huntings shows where they are hunting with a 44 magnum with a scope,:eek:oooh: If you can get that close, good for you, but most can't. Hunt with what makes you happy and thats legal, but a rifle, shotgun, blackpowder, bow, or cross bow seems to make more sense and be easier to.

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hunted with a 4" model 29 S&W a few years ago and killed a 4-point with it and it was fun but, you have got to know your limitations! I had set my max yardage at 35 yds. I sot my deer at 20 yds. If you are comfortable with your gun and PRACTICE. Handgun hunting is fun! Ted Nugget hunts with a 10mm quite a bit on his tv shows. I think the .45 would be good inside 25yds. I have a Sig 220 that with some practice would feel comfortable with!

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    my buddy in the army could make a good 4" group at 100yrds with his 500 SW. But it was heavy, had a scope, and had a great trigger. It might as well been a 30-30!!

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i killed a mulie buck at 60 yards with my .45. if you are accurate and use a good bullet, any legal accuratehandgun would work fine. shot placement is what it all comes down to.

10. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Although a glock would definetely work, autos usually are not the best choices for hunting. Although, I do remember seeing a show where Ted Nugent downed a Cape Buffalo with a glock in 10mm!:crazy:

11. medic442

medic442 New Member

State:
    lonedell mo
    i have carried a s&w 686 deer hunting for years. i always tell myself... if i get a close shot i am going to put my rifle dawn and use my magnum..... every year its the same thing. i get a deer up close.....think about using the magnum for abot a split second, shoulder the rifle and waaaaammmm!!!

we have a lot of guys in deer camp who carry them. they all do the same thing.

i think as long as you have a large enough caliber and the right range you should be o.k. i would think nothing smaller than a .357 and a range you can shoot well enough to kill the animal. unless you are talking about the single shot hand guns that are in the rifle calibers!!!! (thompson and the like).

12. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I have a Ruger super blackhawk hunter model that is chambered in .44 mag
    Then it is topped with an aimpoint red dot . I know that out to about 90 yds with proper shot placement that is a dead deer . Did watch the NUGE take a shot on a hog with a 10 mm Glock with a crimson trace laser grip on it . The hog went down on camera . I know that with proper placement that any gun can kill about anything . Its all about accuracy . If you have a .357 that you can shoot 10out of 10 with at 50yds . And a .44 that you dont like the recoil I would say that you should hunt with the .357 .

13. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Hey Smoke, want to part w/ that Blackhawk? My 29-2 don't (.44 Smith)grow on me.
    Bigwhiskers

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have the stainless s.b. hunter too, chambered in .44 mag. i just shoot it with iron sights right now. 7 1/2 bbl sure does make a difference, don't it? only thing i have killed with mine was a mouflon ram, a coyote, and several jackrabbits. someday i'll get a deer or hog with it, when i can put the rifle down when it counts!

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  16. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    bigwhiskers ,

I dont think that I'm getting rid of my ruger anytime soon
    I have all of the single action Rugers from .17hmr to 45lc
    I like the single action , and it is great for someone that hasnt shot a hand gun much (safety) . I know that they cant shoot again till I see that hammer go back

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've killed one deer with a handgun,a 50 yd heart shot with a Ruger 357 Mag. I have a Glock and it wouldn't be my choise to hunt with.

18. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    im pretty sure you saw ted nugent shooting a wild hog during a turkey hunt with his 10 mm sidearm. appearently the turkeys wern't cooperating :smile2:. i can say i have shot many deer up close with a model 22c .40 cal glock to finish the deer off after it was hit by a car. they dont work worth a darn on head shots (at least not the rounds we use) which are actually designed for people of course in my business (law enforcement). I have shot one deer while hunting with my off duty .40 cal model 22 and it did a decent job. not much of a blood trail but i did get it recovered. i decided after the tough time of doing it though that it was not an ethical enough round to keep using and havn't used it hunting since.