Glock 45. compact or semi-compact

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by zeboman, Mar 2, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m looking into a glock 45. compact or semi-compact model anyone have one?Are these guns any good , my Sgt. swears by them.

2. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    From personal experience, I own 2 Glocks, a Model 17, 9mm full size and a Model 23, compact, .40 S&W. The .40 is the one that I carry every day. From the standpoint of a firearms instructor, the Glock is one of the simplest weapons to teach someone with. The Texas Parks and Wildlife made a transition several years back from the old standard revolver to the Glock Model 22, .40 cal, full size for the Game Wardens. I have a good friend that is stationed on the Gulf coast, out in salt spray, high humidity all the time, the weapons are holding up very well. Hope this helps.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Dan they have a new model, the 21SF that should be on the shelves soon. It was developed by Glock for military trials. Supposed to have a slimmer profile than the standard model 21 an a picattinney rail on the front for whistle bells.
    The 30 fits me but the 21 was a stretch for my hands. The 21SF also has a ambi mag release; "plus" for the "lefty". It's not a compact. Just maybe an improvement on a winner, they say.

4. Threadkilla

Threadkilla New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I presonally do not own a Glock, but I do know people who do. They love their weapons. The Glock has proven to be very reliable.

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got a Glock 23 and love it. Great gun to take fishing that you don't have to worry about getting a scratch on.:big_smile:

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I carry my Glock23, 40cal all the time. I've almost carried into places I'm not supposed to, it's so comfortable, I forget I'm carrying it:embarassed:

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've got the Glock model 22 .40 cal that I carry all the time. I also have the "baby Glock" .40 cal. I don't really like the "baby" cause the grip is a bit small for my big 'ol mits. I'm a big feller and I have no problem conceilling the full size Glock. Although in the winter time, I sometimes throw the baby in the coat pocket.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have this baby Glock model 26 9mm for carry. I've added a Laser sight and changed the trigger spring to a heavier pull. Great weapon for carry.

9. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    i carry a model 22C .40 everyday for work. the "C" for glock stands for compensated which actually means its ported in everyday talk. I also have a model 22 that is not ported that I use for off duty carrying. If you are looking at the .45 keep in mind there will be a little more kick and if its a full compact you may want to look at a C for recoil purposes. I do know that I can get the 22C on target faster on followup shots with less recoil than i can with my standard model 22. just some food for thought. good luck and no matter which glock you decide on I think you will be satisfied with. they are IMO a great gun!

10. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Back to his question, I'd handle both first. I don't have really big hands but after shooting 1911's and Browning Hi-powers picking up the Glock 23's size was alittle different to get use to. The angle of the grip is alittle different also.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I also have a glock 23 and i use it for carry most of the time.Just the right size i think and very accurate.I also have the adjustable sights.I like the feel of it and its not to bulky.I dont care for the small compact ones because without the extension that you can get for them you can really only fit two fingers around the grip.

12. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have a Glock 30 and a Glock 36. Both are great guns shooting a manstopper cartridge. Special Ops and SWAT use the 45 ACP.

But for carry under stress the Glocks for shooters that cant practice 2 times a week can't be beat. No safety to forget to flip off under stress.:wink:

13. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dan, I have owned (and still do) many Glocks. All of mine in .40 cal. They are a great weapon. Simple, safe, and dependable. I dont care if its 9mm, 357 sig, .40, .45, or 10mm, they are a well built gun.
    I have about every size in .40 from sub compact G27c to a full size G35c longslide. I use a G22 for everyday carry, the wife uses a G23. The subcompacts have a pretty aggresive muzzle flip, and is still pretty noticable in the compacts. If you are set on one of the smaller two in .45, I would recommend getting it in a "C" model (compensated), it will tame the flip quite a bit, that would be a G36c for the subcompact .45, and a G30c for the compact .45. Good luck.

14. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dan, you can also get magazine grip extensions if you have larger hands, it will make the stubby handgrip a lil more pleasant on the sub or compact.

15. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My everyday carry weapon is a Glock 23 in a Kydex inside the belt snap in. I've owned close to 50 handguns. This one with it's flat surface is by far the most accurate and comfortable to carry concealed weapon I've owned. If they are not comfortable you won't have it when you need it. A Glock is a simple creature but I'm for revolvers for beginners.

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I want to thank all who posted,you provided some good info.I think i`m going to go ahead and get the .45 ACP for it`s man-stopping power,another selling feature to me is that there is no safety to play with in a life or death situation.

17. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I have the full size Glock 21 and love it, carry it everywhere..it is a little heavy but wouldn't be caught dead without it. If you chose there are lots of bells n whistles to add to it. I just bought one of the new Scherer 25 round clips for it, kinda fun! Let us know how you like it..
    Kyle

18. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I have two model 17 glocks I carry sometimes and would not take anything for them. The first time I picked up a glock I thought this feels like a toy. Later I had the chance to buy one at a great price thinking I can always get my money back on this deal. I took it out and shot the crap out of it and the rest is a love story. The first had trijicon night sights and could deal a leathal shot at 30 yards without any effort. Now I'm not a bad shot , but I ain't no olympic shooter either. The muzzle kick was not very noticable and wife squeezed off about 4 clips without even complaining.

Most of the time I carry a ruger sp-101 357 wheel gun as it is very easy to conceal even in summer clothes. In the winter I almost exclusivly carry a Glock in a Glock belt slide holster.