Glidden Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Quint, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have been invited to Glidden Wis. next week to grouse hunt. Have been told that the waterfowl #'s are also outstanding there this time of the year? So would like to hunt some waterfowl too. Any information on what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Like what gear to bring decoys, waders, layout blinds ect.? Will be all free lance hunting, my 1st trip ever to Wisconsin the fellow that invited me to go it will be his 3rd year in a row. Can't wait! Thanks

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I know that alot of guys hunt the big lakes and rivers up there. Without to much info I would bring everything I had room for and work it out when I got there. Good Luck!

3. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Well the waterfowl had left northern Wisconsin. Did see good goose #'s around the Illinois/Wisconsin boarder. But over all did not see much waterfowl the whole way, and no ducks! It came up a decent snow on arrival 6 inch, then we had several rainy days 1 or 2 pertty days? The leaves were all off the trees. Best day and it was only a !/2 day due to the rain 44 grouse flushes and around 20 wood cock flushes. Adv. 20 grouse flush per day. Not bagging but 4 grouse and 8 wood cock! The birds were spooky would flush wild and run a-lot. Had two dogs on 2 diffrent occasions get into porcupines and man thats no joke! Them there porcupine quills are rough! They are barbed like a fish hook and just keep working their self deeper. I did enjoy the trip!

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive been going up north for 14 yrs. now & these were the spookiest grouse Ive seen up there. If you cut the porcupine quills in half it will release the tendion that holds the barb. Like you said its a real mess, shoot all porcupines on sight, there also nest raiders.

5. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Abu65 a local told us about cutting them to let the air out, also told us to use a slow steady pull instead of a fast jerk for extraction. A-lot were in deep haveing to push through or just barely able to grab with hemostats. We did shoot the 1st one but then we were told that shooting them confused the dog into thinking they were game and would make the dogs more likely to mess with them? The fellow I went with this made his 4th trip and 1st encounter with the porcupine. Learned a-lot about them porcupines! If you see a dog stick it's head in a hole get the dog away asap! I thought they ate tree bark? Do they eat the eggs? Thanks