Glendale Lake in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JMarrs328, May 14, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Has anyone fished Glendale Lake in Prince Gallitzen State Park? My dad and i go on an annual fishing trip there sometime in late July/early august. I just started getting into catfishing this summer and I didn't even try the lake. Just wondering if anyone has had any success there.

2. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Josh, I've fished Glendale on and off for the past 30 years. About the only catfish there seems to be mostly small yellow bullheads. The biggest one I ever caught was 17". Most everything else is around 10-12" average.

3. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Josh, last year my brother and I fished Glendale and like Tim said there are quite a few yellow bullheads but my brother caught a 22 inch channel cat there, it was the cleanest i've ever seen a channel cat, mostly because i fish river cats but he caught it on a Nightcrawler. Good fishing

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Are yellow bullheads worth eating? I mean, do they taste as good as channel cats? Should I fish for them, or stick with bass/panfish?

5. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Yellow bullheads are a very good eating fish. You just need to catch a few more for a good meal.:big_smile:

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've also heard that they have poison on there spines that can cause a pretty nasty wound. Is this true?

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I've had bullheads, and thought they were awesome. I've also heard many people say they are really good eats. They are generally smaller than other species of catfish, at least here in WV.

8. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Josh, yea you need to stay clear of the ends of those spines. I don't know about poison but if you jab yourself with them you're gonna have a sore spot for a couple days.:ah:

9. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Tim's right there really isn't poison but those spines can break off in your flesh and send you to the hospital. A buddy of mine had that happen to him. Also those yellow bullheads are pretty good eating, i suggest them. Good fishing guys.

10. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Josh, when you head out to glendale I would suggest trying the north end of the lake where Slate run empties into the lake. The water is low at that end and there is a lot of lilly pads, but if you can find a place to get in, there is good fishing to be had there. Not only cats but lunker size carp and largemouth bass. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

11. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good information.