Glasses--for us old guys

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Muddler, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    One thing that is absolutely vital--at least for me--is my glasses. I'm farsighted, which of course means that I need the specs to read, tie knots, tell oat soda from creme soda in the cooler, etc. I bought a few pair of cheap magnifying specs at the discount store for 88 cents each. I fixed each of them up with a neck cord, and I do mean cord. None of those fancy glasses-snaffler things, just some twine.
    Point is, I don't take my prescription bifocals on the water. They stay safe in the car and I hang a pair of cheap cheaters around my neck. Of course, if it's not night, I'll take a pair of polarized glasses too.
    I feel better wading, leaning over the water, crashing through brush, dodging pokeweed javelins thrown by my son, etc. knowing that whatever happens, I won't break or loose my good specs.
    I use the cheapos elsewhere, too. I took a pair to the amusement park with the family. The daughters were scandalized, once again Dad is an embarassment to all!

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I do the same exact thing.I even tie my poles and rods off.peewee-williams

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Good tip , I have 3 pair in various lakes. Sure is hard to drive home without them.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have six pairs of the Cheap Reading glasses, I keep them in various places around the house, work , truck, boat and tacklebox. I also have a pair of dark saftey glasses with 200+ bifocals in them.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ditto, bedroom, kitchen, living room desk, workshop outside, car, van, boat. I hate when I go to a different location wearing a pair. I sometimes have 3 in the kitchen and am blind in other locations. I just through away several pair as I was getting to many different strenghts and that was giving me headhurts...LOL...had to restock and it is much better.

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I know what you mean brother, my eyes aren't as good as when I was younger.
    Now I have to have bifocals also or reading glasses just to read the mail or tie the knots for fishing. I have the cheap ones in my truck and 3 pair in the house and I even bought a pair to leave at church for when I do the bible readings. Getting old is tough on us.....lol :big_smile:

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Same here brother I some times wonder how iwind up with all them in the same room:tounge_out:

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hadn't even though about maybe losing my specks in the drink. Now I have something else to worry about:roll_eyes: thanks guys. Really that is a good idea that I may have to start praticing,since I have to wear the stupid things at all times.Been that way since I was 7.Now I have to have biofocals and I hate them.

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    If its any comfort, know its not just you old guys that have to go through that. Some of gals have to too and I am one of them.

I have a pair on both boats, in both tackle boxes, and in my truck.

I can no longer tie my line without a pair. :roll_eyes:

10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I guess i'm lucky. I only have one pair of glasses on the lake bottom. My newest glasses with a magnetic mounted polorized sun glass added cost almost $400. Thats way too much to drop into the water. Here is what I use when I go fishing. I use a piece of braid ( nice and flexable ) and tie a snap swivel on each end. It can be a little annoying at times, but I'll put up with it as opposed to losing another pair.

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Can't see anything without mine , which are to old . Luckily the Fraternal Order of Police / Nebraska , just came out with a free insurance that covers eye related bills . Now I will be able to have a pair for every day and a pair for fishing.

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    lol I have that problem to. I just started wearing them last year and I've already lost 3 pairs. good Post

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Last year I dropped my high dollar prescription glasses at my dock in 12 ft of water... it was too cool to get in the water. But luckily 2 weeks later I caught them with a treble hook.

I think I'll be getting me a couple pairs of those cheap ones.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    You can also get one of the sports clips that fastens on the end of the ear piece and has a strap between, they may brake, but they won't fall off, anything is possible but doubtful.

15. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm a big believer in Polarized sunglasses. I bought a set of Polarized Smith and Wesson safety glasses online and put on these removable stick on lenses called OPTX. Bought them at the local drug store. First time I've been able to see the dash on my car for years! I can tie knots and everything without changing glasses. There are a lot of things I'd hate to forget going on a fishing trip but I'd be lost without these. Since they are safety I can wear them on my motorcyle too.
    :cool2: