Gizzard shad vs. Herring?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bck1006, Jun 22, 2006.

1. bck1006

bck1006 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am wondering what the better bait is this time of year. I went out this evening and caught some shad and a few herring. I am just wanting everyones thoughts on what they have had the best luck with.I also want to know if there is any certain way to cut them. I have herd cut the tails and let them bleed and it will attract more fish.Any info would be a great help.I fish in Missouri at Weldon springs and I'm just getting into catfishing and have yet to boat but a few fish.Thanks!!!

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I like the threadfin herring rigged alive for catching numbers of fish. I prefer the large gizzard shad (10 inchers) for going after the large fish. I'll rig one rod with a large live gizzard shad, and I"ll rig one rod with a large cut gizzard shad. I cut the tail off my mine just slightly below the stomach cavity so that the gut pocket has a very small opening for the contents to leach out into the water. As well, I usually will make three or four small slices down each side of the bait for blood dispersion. Whichever you use, I think its more important to keep your baits fresh and present them properly. Change your baits every 30 minutes as a good rule of thumb. If I'm hole sitting, I'll take my old baits and cut them into little pieces and chunk em over board. Keeps the bait fish around the boat which hopefully lures the big boyz in. Hope I've helped a little. Good Luck

3. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    If you can get them; herring. I've caught several brutes this year on both but I believe herring has out produced the shad. One you get them throw them on ice and when your ready to fish; cut them just like Cuz. Oh, fish the current on the missouri, anything less then that won't produce. Period!

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Cuz,
    What is a threadfin herring?

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Kevin, good question. They are a member of the herring family and are very common on our river systems. Here is a link which shows a picture and a little about them. They make great bait and are pretty easy to find. Good Luck. Cuz.
    http://www.fishing-boating.com/baitprofiles/thherring.htm

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It gets a bit confusing here in Missouri due to local names for some of the fish.
    Threadfin herring is called shad (threadfin shad)
    Skipjack herring is called shad (hickory shad)
    Bluegill (and all other bait panfish) are called perch (or sometimes bream)
    Any of the herring, shad, and "perch" have done well for me so far this year. If I pull it up in my net, it can go on the hook and catch fish.

Even worse on the names:
    Blue cats are called white cats
    White bass are called sand bass
    All black bass are called largemouth bass
    Hybrids are called hybrads, whypers, or birds

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nice post Curtis. You are correct with all the slang names. I'm sure that will help alot of the Bros who might be calling there bait by one of the nicknames.

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tell you what... It sure confused me when I first got on here and people were talking about skipjack. Here and in Oklahoma they just called all of them shad and left it at that. I asked, someone posted a picture, and I went "oh yeah... I know those". I hadn't known I had been using them for years.

9. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Yep slang names are more confusing than helpful sometimes. Talking to ol' timers will get you even more names you've never heard of.

around St. Louis, you hear these most.
    shad = gizzard shad (rarely threadfin shad)
    skipjack = skipjack herring
    herring = goldeye/mooneye

other slag
    flathead catfish = johny cat, mudcat, shovel head cat
    drum = white perch, sheepshead, croaker, Goo
    white bass = white perch, striped bass, striper
    paddlefish = spoon bill, spoon billed catfish

10. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name: