Gizzard shad on Hartwell

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by droptine77, Oct 21, 2007.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Have any of you experts out there had any luck catching gizzard shad on Hartwell? I have no problem catching threadfins but was wondering were to look for the gizzards? Like rip rap, shallow flats, or deep water? Any advice?

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I'm not an expert and I dont have any experience catchin them on Hartwell because I always bring my bait with me but big nasty gizzard is one of my favorite baits and I spend alot of time tryin to catch em.

The longer, shallower, muddier creeks are about the best bet.They stay shallow for the most part, 15 or shallower most of the year but they will go deeper in the winter but they will still come back to the back of the creeks in the evening after the sun has warmed the shallow water all day.They make this migration just about everyday and 30 minutes before dark is about the best time to be in the back of a creek in 5 foot or less throwing.Always keep your eye open for flips on the surface but dont let that be the deciding factor on wether you throw the net there or not.Boat ramps, grassy areas, at the base of docks and seas walls and riprap and anywhere else algae can grow are good areas to key in on.Sometimes you just have to blindcast until you get enough, I know it sucks but thats part of the game.

They move alot, you might find one creek that you can catch them consistantly in for weeks and then they all of a sudden move to another one.Just keep that in mind.

Some days it might not take but 2 or 3 throws and you'll have enough and somedays it might take 40 to 50 throws.I would highly reccomend a rain suit.I promise that you will find yourself out there with your hands froze stiff, freezin to death and wonderin why a man would put hisself thru all this just to catch a catfish but when that rod slowly bends down and starts grownin and your heart starts poundin then you remimber why.

Or just go by the baitshop and pay $12 a dozen for em.:smile2:

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    A little birdy told me Lake Hartwell fishing and marine was fixing to start carrying them. I have always been told that any good catman could catch his own bait. I'm getting there but after the James river and seeing what gizzards do up there I'm determened to see what they will do here. I bet I threw my net 40 times Friday. I was soaked and could barely lift my arm but hey,I'm saving money!

4. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey droptine. I am also after the allusive gizzard shad. I'm constantly trying to figure it out along with you. I have been trying mostly in broad river. I have yet to catch any but when I do its going to be on. I am not going to stop till I perfect this. I wish you lots of luck.:wink::big_smile:

5. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Same to you my brother.

6. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I am with you all also, good luck!

7. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    We caught several gizzard shad this summer on hartwell. We started seeing them swimming in some of our bream fishing spots. We caught the gizzards in about 10 inches of water in the back of a shallow cove. We also caught a few in the cove near clemson that has wendy's and all that in it.

It's not like it is on lake marion. We can catch them all day long down there throwing in the backs of coves.

8. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Been catching them all summer up to now in shallow coves. Pretty much what Chris said about the coves. They have been mixed with threadfins also.

A side note about cast nets. 2 weeks ago i was using a 7 ft net with 1 lbs of weight per foot and doing fairly well. Switched to a 10 ft net with 1.5 lbs of weight per foot and started catching alot more shad per throw. Was throwing in the same spot also as the 7 ft net. Might not happen again but it seemed odd to me. Although throwing that 10 footer can sure wear a fella out quick. Gonna try it again tommorrow-I hope.

9. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i've always carried my bait to hartwell from other lakes because i was afraid to throw my net in unfamiliar places...i have lost 3 cast nets in the last month which includes one from this past weekend at lake anna in virginia...i gotta get over to hartwell and ride around and check out various coves now that the water is down and i can see the hazards.

10. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Where is the best place to buy these nets that have the extra weight per foot? I destroyed mine also friday morning on the first throw:eek:oooh:

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the one I got is a 8 ft with 1 1/2 lbs per ft with 1/4 inch mesh. it came from bass pro in myrtle beach but after a few casts it gets heavy.

12. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have bought mine from cabelas. Bought a cracker net by calusa and a fitec net. The calusa is 10 ft with 1.5 lbs per foot and the fitec is a 8 ft with 1.5 lbs per foot.

I have a couple of more nets. One is a fitec super spreader 7 ft net with 1 lb per ft. Can't remember where I bought this one though. This spring I was throwing a 5 ft net some.

Tore a few holes in the 5 ft net this spring. A gar got my 10 ft net its first hole.

13. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I seen a bait trolling net in one of my books think it was catfish connection . it says tie to boat cleat and ride in circles in an area where bait fish are and pull as you slow. would this be legal in Santee?

GARY

14. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Gary, I would like to see that. I don't know about the santee part, We need to wait for one of the big dogs to answer that for you.

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Seine= A None Game Gear Device
    Must have a valid SC fishing license

2 types of Seines

Minnow seine: must not be greater than 4' in width and 20' in length. Mesh size must be 1/4" and smaller. Restrictions are: unlawful to have a minnow seine from 10pm to official sunrise.

Seine: A net having a stretch mesh of not less than 1" and not more than 1.5". Must not be greater than 6' wide and 75' in length. Mesh size. Restrictions are: unlawful to anchor a seine and leave it unattended.

I don't know the Santee River lingo but the only listings I see are:
    Santee River: downstream from Wilson dam on Lake Marion. NO nongame gear (except skimbow nets) allowed upstream of USGS Guaging station 1715 about 2.4 miles below Santee Dam.

So if you fish in that area you can not use any seine at all.

Something I noticed was that there are restrictions on the possession of cast nets..and they are only for nonegame baitfish only. I always thought you can use them for bream also. I cant throw one so I wouldn't know, lol.

Well that's all I got, I was bored so I got the ball rolling for yas......