Giving up fishing for dancing.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by stonemaster, Jul 7, 2006.

1. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I am getting very tired of fishing all the time just to catch nothing. I went to the local lock last year and caught 30 cats in three hours and I was hooked! For about a month I went every day and always caught fish. Then my work went crazy and I worked 80 hours a week all fall and early winter and cound not fish. This winter I found this site and was exicited all winter. I read on this site about how people were catching cats in the cold months and so I spent many days every month freezing my buns off, and no cats. I watched the water temp. slowly rise this spring with mounting excitment , I caught 5000 shad and froze them, I built a boat and bought a new motor. I spent every spare minute on the river, reading this site or studing the life cycles of castfish, and still little to nothing. I must admit defeat. I hate to fail at something I love so bad. So, I start dance lessons today, the waltz, the tango and other ballroom steps. I know I will never be very good at dancing, but when I go dancing I will realy dance. When I go fishing there is just fishing, no catching. I will still go some times ,but I must find a hobby that I can have a chance of haveing a small amount of sucess in.What I needed was an older man who could show me the tricks of the trade . There is only so much that you can learn from books. SO good luck and happy fishin to you.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Brother dont give up. It happens to all of us. I have fished all year this year and only caught 1 fish. It seems like some years you will catch a ton and others hardley any. I am sure you can squeeze fishing in with your dance time. Good luck when you get back out on the water.

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    every fisherman has his good seasons and his bad seasons, but not a lot give up, id say this is just a bad season. keep trying

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ...................are you serious????

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Sorry to hear that bro, but i think this year has been tough for everyone, i started the year off poping them and catching 10 to 20 a trip, then all of the sudden...NOTHING...They started spawning and they completly shut off..I forget what a catfish looks like...LOL..It will get better, it has to..Dont give up though, cause you may just hook into a monster the next time your out

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds to me like you're making a job out of it. Quit working at it, relax and enjoy yourself. Look at it this way, you damn sure ain't going to catch anything on the dance floor and on the outside chance that you do, you'll just have to throw it back anyway...:lol:

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Darrell. I understand your sentiments exactly, as I have gone out several times this year have have essentially caught nada :sad2: And while I think dancing lessons will definitely be fun, I would suggest that you go fishing with a guide at some water close to you, and watch very closely what and how he does what he does. Ask lots of questions. 2 years ago I hired a guide up at Lake Barkley, and I learned a bunch from him. Plus, he knew some good spots to fish that would have taken me years to find on my own. I also suggest that you find one or more brothers from here who live close to you, and who would be willing to take you out and get you on to some fish. There's ton's of neat people here with millions (I think) of years of experience - tap into that resource. So have fun dancing, and go fishing too (to fish is to live) :lol:

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I saw that and expected to see a post from DH! LOL

Seriously, don't give up on them. Try different things and fish in different places. I'm having a terrible year too. But they'll come along sooner or later!

9. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If i wake up in the morning thats a success if i have gas for the boat that a success if i have 3-4 hours of peace and quite on the lake without a single bite thats a success if my boat gets attacked by a coon and i survive thats a success what do u mean you have no success

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    say it ain't so, Darrell!:crazy:

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The problem is you expect to catch fish. STOP THAT. Fishing is not all about catching fish. The reason fishing means so much to most of us is not because you always catch fish. Sounds silly, right. Catching the fish is the end result. It's about the journey. The journey takes days, weeks, hours, it only takes 1 minute to catch a fish. If it were about aquiring fish we would go to the store. It much more about everything else we do to get that 1 minute.
    Forget about the fish and doing everything you have learned and just go fishing.

OR

Go dancing

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    He saw the word "dancing" and went looking for his tutu...:lol:

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I haven't caught much this year either. More often then not, I catch NOTHING. :tounge_out:

14. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    as long as i don't hear a phone ringing, have a meeting I have to attend, or have to answer any emails I'm having a great time fishing!

If you love fishing, you love it. All i can say is don't get rid of your stuff. Go ahead and take a break, do some dancing, whatever. Sooner or later you'll get back on the water, and have a blast.

15. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    It sounds like you lack patience. I have fun, even when I get skunked, I can still look at the stars and relax. I just think that you should think about what you're doing before you throw it all away.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'm gonna go back to square dancing this fall. Got to give the catfish a chance to regenerate themselves. It's a deal I have with the Dept. of Wildlife. If I don't catch all the fish, they'll let me fish. LOL

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I saw that and expected to see a post from DH! LOL

Seriously, don't give up on them. Try different things and fish in different places. I'm having a terrible year too. But they'll come along sooner or later!

18. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm sad to hear anyone give up fishing.

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey dont give up. We all have bad days and years Ive found that when I have a bad year for one species it was usually a good year for another Give bass,panfish,carp,trout anything except for quitting.I you want cats go when the waters high after a good rain you may be pleasantly surprised JUST DONT GIVE UP

20. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I just got home from my dancing lesson and wow. My instructer was a knockout! I had a blast and then I was told the price for the next 9 lessons,$799 Oh My God. I spent all my money this year on boats, 9 foot rods, motors, depth=finders (2), large reels, cast nets, minnow seines, tackel box, dip net, trolling moter, etc.,etc. So anyone want to go fishing with me tonight?
    By the way, thanks to everybody for being so supportive.