Giving something to a child

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by n2fishn, Dec 23, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I'm a Big brother to a young boy that has brought me plenty of joy to be around.

Once per week I go to his school and spend about 1 hr with him reading/playing or doing work on the computer for school work.

Most of these kids in these programs are from broken homes and are very happy to spend some quality time with a adult.James is from a broken home and has little contact with his Father.It's really sad to hear him talk of his love for his daddy only to know he doesn't spend no time with him.James is only 10yrs old and is a great kid.When I show up he greets me with hugs and big smiles.
    I sometimes wll pick up some pizza or something and bring it to school and this just makes his day.Of course i talk about fishing and the outdoors and he's dying to go fishing somday.He's never fished before.

So If you every have a chance to be a Big brother or Sister to a child please do so.For so little of your time you will make a child very happy.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Awesome Tom. Thanks for having a caring heart. At this time you are blessing this child you will be blessed. Reps.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now here is where the "VULCAN" takes over in me. LOL! Logic is what I'm about most of the time. I would be inclined to get the lad somethin he needs. Wether its clothes or shoes or a coat. Thats jusy my thoughts.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    George I agree but most of these Kids including James are not alwas from poor homes.They are usally from broken homes and growing up with single parents.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Got ya. In this case it sure looks like the male figure is what the boy is cravein. Get him a fishin setup and take his butt out as much as you can. Get him involved in fishin and takein care of his gear. teach him about boats and how to take care of them. Just a thought. Good luck with your choice. :wink:

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Kids just need our time, mostly. They look up to adults for the answers right or wrong. Thats why people like you Tom make such a huge diference. I personally don't sponser a child, but I do take every oppertunity I get to have quality time with my kids now 24 and married and 20 in college. or to take a friend who has kids bringing them along on a fishing trip or just a scouting trip into the woods in late summer. Anything to get them involved and give them a Brother ,Sister or Parent figure in their lives that they can share and learn from. Reps to you and everyone else who care enough to do the right things

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    In today's society, there is a scary shortage of male role models; I'm glad some real men are stepping up to the plate. Children can easily go astray at that age, but having someone to look up to will certainly help steer that young man's future in the right direction.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom is a special guy, always willing to help someone out. I am proud to call him my friend.
    My Dad was the father figure for many of my cousins who were not fortunate to have one around. You can tell he made a difference in their lives, all because he took the time to take them fishin and teach them things.
    I lost him three years ago, but I am thankful for every minute I had with him. I wouldnt be half of who I am if he hadnt been there for me.
    Thanks to everyone who gets involved in kid's lives. I dont think the impact is even measurable.
    Im gettin old enough that I need to step up and do my part.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Kyle thanks for your kind words.That about brought a tear to my eye's.:eek:oooh:

There are a lot of Kids out there that dont get the chance that alot of us had growing up.

I think we can all give something to a child less fortunate.Just spending time with them is what they are looking for.
    I been doing this for two yrs and it has brought me a lot of pleasure just knowing I might be making a differance in a childs life.

Thats why I posted this because I know there are programs all across the country that gives us adults a chance to make a differance.

So i say if you have just a hr a week to give a child please do so.You will make a differance in their life.

10. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    That is awsome...i wish i had time to be a Big Sister to someone!

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Tom you inspire me brother we at one time had a foster son we had him 18 monthes a loony aunt desided she wanted him we fout it but the judge gave him to her she is family we wasent i said i would never do that agen it just hert to much loosing him well time has done some healing not saying i will foster agen but you got me thinking about geting involved agen in some way