Giving braid a try

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by miichael, Sep 18, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    OK guys i know most of you seem to like the mono lines but i'm going to give the spider wire stealth a try. I got the 50lb moss green 12lb diameter and spooled up 6 of my big open faces and my 2 abu 6500c3's. I plan on using Carolina rig with a 2 ft leader of 50lb mono line. I use no roll sinkers but my question is do you think the 2 and 3oz sinkers will fray the spider wire? I was gonna put 3oz no roll on braided with a bead and then tie a 100lb barrel swivel and a 2 ft leader of 50lb mono with a 7/0 kahle hook. Should this be a good setup?

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I'd be wary of anything sliding on any braided line.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Sounds like a good set-up as long as you use a bead to protect the knot.I personally like the power-pro line better.

4. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I just tried power pro also, seems like good stuff and dealers tell me it doesnt bite into the guides like the other braided lines. Has anyone else tried the new Gamma mono? I tried it and was very impressed. The only bad thing is, if and when you backlash, you will be respooling, because it doesnt come out. If anyone tries it let me know what you think.:cool2:

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'm kinda scared to use this stuff on my rods cause of the "saw tooth" effect. I use Exclusivly St. Croix Gear and dont want to pit or groove my guides? is this much of a problem for youins? Just curious?

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    For what it is worth:

I use the "Stealth" in 50# also. I would not allow the sinker to run over the "Stealth" (OPINION) but would use a 50# mono leader PLUS past that another mono leader with the sinker on it and yet another barrel to the "Steath". Yes not much for a free-line but I tight-line and it works for me.

ONE BIGGIE that I very much need is to find a "Albright" or simulair knot that will give 92% plus that will join the mono and the "Steath" and run through the guides well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLZ PLZ PM me if any have a TESTED knot that will work for the above PLZ PLZ.

:0a35: :0a35: :0a35:

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Buddah

Most of the NEW super braids say that they will not "Saw Tooth" and that is what I've seen on the "Steath" for 3 yrs now.

:smile2:

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never had any problems with power pro:smile2:

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok what do you guys think of this rig? I took the braided line and tied it to a 3ft piece of 50lb mono for the sinker to slide on using a surgeons knot. I then put a bead on both sides of the sinker so the sinker cant go past the knot and hit the braided line. Then i tied the leader to a barrel swivel and added another 14 inch leader of 50lb mono with hook. The knot is really too big to cast through the eyes but with it setup like that give the fish 3 ft to run with and also i can cast it with the knot outside the eyes. Sorta like a slip bobber rig for the sinker. Heres some pics.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    First;we have addressed the "Saw" effect on here many times.Braid won't damage the guides on the St Croix rods because they are very good ceramic guides.The old braids when they first came out picked up dirt due to the wax coatings and would destroy cheap steel or plastic guides in a minute.Lots of guides out there with inserts that "look" like ceramic but arent.Secondly I wouldn't use the no rolls with a hole thru the middle and let them slide on the braid .Get flat sinkers which are quite common he in NC the have a brass eye to one side and let the line slide thru that up against a bead.I have had no problem with that and the sinker sits flat on the bottom and doesn't roll.Baitkiller try the UNI knot.It is the best line to line connector ever.Personally I use a braid leader for my drift rigs and have never had a problem with fish not biting or abrasion.Not sure why folks insist on using a mono leader.Hope this helps:lol: :smile2:

11. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i used braided line for a summer ended up using a three way swivel tied the weight off of one and the biat off the other worked good but my main line still fraid on rocks switched back to mono and stayed with it but a friend of mine uses nothing but spider wire and he uses the same three way swivel that i tried

12. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    the only thing i use braided line for is backing on my fly rod,,, my dad swears by it,, if it snags, it starts to fray

13. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I love spiderwire and have used it a lot for various fishing, mostly bass fishing and have learned a few things.

1. an improved clinch knot will slip (I tie a pallomar exclusively)
    2. it doesn't stretch or have memory which I love, no telephone coils.
    3. fine diameter is good in windy or current conditions.
    4. I haven't noticed any issues with rod guides, I've used cheap rods and expensive rods.
    5. I haven't noticed any issues with sinkers sliding on the line, I've not used it for a carolina rig for catfishing (heavy weights) but I have for bass fishing.
    6. I love it for worms,jigs,spinnerbaits etc but prefer mono for fishing crankbaits when bass fishing.
    7. it seems to last forever,if I have a bait tied on, I don;t worry about retying every fishing trip like I do with mono.
    8. when bass fishing, since it doesn't stretch, usually you need your drag set a little looser so you don't pull the hook out when horsing a fish. I say that because I usually use 12lb mono and 30lb braid. I would set my braid similar to what mono would be instead of what you would usually set for 30lb line.

oh, a shark can cut braid almost as fast as mono so you still need steel leaders :)

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I havent had much of a problem with no rolls fraying my power pro might make it a little fuzzy. I recently made a few no rolls with snapswivels casted in the top so the line runs through the smooth swivel eye instead, smooth.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Ill use a braided leader if im using a plain shank hook but if im using an oct or an oct circle its a mono snelled leader. that might explain the insisting of mono leaders but probally not:confused2: .

16. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Baitkiller, you can go to www.powerpro.com and find the knots diagramed. If you buy the power pro line, the knots are shown on the insert that comes with the line.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike, You can eliminate that mono if you use a sinker slide. I use 80lb power-pro with a slide ( which is made of plastic) and it won't damage your line. My rig is 10/o gamma hook, 15inch leader, swivel, bead, sinker slider. I get mine from South Bend tackle, Size 16. They slip open so you can put on whatever size bank sinker you need. I can put up to 3, 5 oz or 6 oz sinkers on at one time or whatever I need.

18. Cat<*(((><Brown

Cat<*(((><Brown New Member

State:
    nc
    There is only one brand of Braided line worth the money. Gotta try the new stren braid. I have tried them all and they all have the same problem. They are strong as hell but they will cut off easily. Using spider wire you will see what I am talking about. I used spider wire on my reels for the last 10 years. That's all I fished with. Period. Not any more. The new stren braid will not cut off. I do alot of sheeps head fishing so I needed a line that would hold up to the barnacles and rocks. Stren was much less likely to cut. I can prove it. Go to the tackle store, find 60lb spider wire and 60 lg stren braid. Then find the corner of a brick wall and see for yourself which breaks first. I bet the spider wire breaks on the 1st pass where the stren will take 6 or 7. Let me know what you find. For $25 bucks a spool listen to a guy who has spent hundreds on the braided lines. Good luck.
    :spiderman: :spiderman:

19. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have used stren super braid for the past 2 years and yes its the same super braid. I haven't had to change it yet. It has been the best line i have ever put on a reel. I'm 58 yrs old and I have put a lot of line on reels. I also have found that a uni knot is a very simple knot to tie and it is also very strong. When I attach mono to braid I use a double uni knot. With this knot you don't need to glue the knot either.

20. sgreen3827

sgreen3827 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I've heard mixed reviews on the spider wire..I hav enever used it myself so I can't say one way or the other. I have been using Power Pro for a year or two now and find it to be an outstanding line.