Give your liver a kick

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by godsglad8tor, Jul 22, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    simplest way to make your chicken liver smell to hiiiiiigh heaven:0a30:, i just fished the calif aquaduct last night, caught 6 on the same bait, chicken livers and crushed garlic, you can find crushed garlic at your local grocery store, one teaspoon of that crushed garlic to one tub of livers, havent figured out how many tubs you can marinade yet, im on my 3rd one and still have more thand 1/2 , happy fishing

Mikey

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mikey that same crushed garlic can also be added to other baits. Stinkbait, Shrimp, and etc. Works great and draws the fish in. Thanks for the reminder.:smile2:

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Mickey, what exactly do you do with the crushed garlic and shrimp? I fish with shrimp a lot for channel cats and any little trick to land more fish would be greatly appreciated.

4. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    Thanks Mikey
    How do you put it together? Just add the garlic to the tub or what??
    I need to start experimenting with baits.

Corey

5. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    just buy your tub of chicken livers from the store, along with a jar of crushed garlic, take one spoon full of crushed garlic and add it to your tub of chicken livers, if your gonna go fishing the next morning, you can do it the night before so it can marinate really good, even works the day of if you give it a few hours so that it will be more potent, the jar should last for a while, hope this helped ya

6. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
  7. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i've also mixed crushed garlic in with my dip baits to thin them a bit. has worked well.

8. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    The easiest way I found is to forget it in your car for a couple days during summer?

We went fishing one night and I thought I had everything unloaded?
    I was off the next couple day's and didn't go anywhere, so I didn't need the car for anything?
    I went out to the car to leave for work a couple days later and opened the door and the smell almost knocked me down?
    I opened the trunk and found a package of livers I had missed when I was unloading and it took me a couple days to get rid of the smell?

I'll have to try that sometime when we go fishing?

Ken

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    ***I know the feeling. when I first started using liver in high school, I had a container in the fridge to go fishing. well I didnt go so I kept it in the fridge & forgot about it. When the container blew up my mom heard a pop & opened the fridge. man did she have words with me.*******

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I cure mine with garlic powder and non idoized salt. Works great and you can catch a couple cats with the same piece sometimes.

Check out the library, some great info in there.

11. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    I will have to give that a try.

I am new to fishing for cats. I catch a few while fiching with jigs for crappie. And would like to do some fish when its so hot thought I would try the cats.

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    so.....what u r saying is that th garlic cures th liver an toughens it up? hmmm, I used salt for that, and used th garlic for th scent, but its good to know it helps also, cool, thanks.

13. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree garlic either powdered or crushed. The extra kick gets'em. I always add that to chum that I make.

14. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    not really i dont cure livers, i like mine runny, i always wrap that liver around the hook alot of times up to 10 if i can, never falls off, i also cut mine so i can have more to fish with, the crushed garlic is just for the extra scent with the blood

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Take some good ole liver set in sun with anise and garlic. Well check to make sure anise isnt illegal in your state. Then get a bowl dont let your wife catch you and mix in 20 mule team borax get them good and covered. Steal a cookie rack. Well borrow it!!! Sit in sun to cure!!! The borax makes them stiff and hard to get off hook!!! Good fishing all!!!

16. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    haha, yep done that a few times...women love it

garlic also makes the liver tough enough to stay on the hook

about a month ago I was fishing beside a guy using garlic liver and i was using fresh regular liver, he outfished me bout 10 to 1

17. willfishforfood

willfishforfood New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i always just take the livers and sit em outside all day on a hot day and get those suckers rancid.:smile2:

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the Infro Guys

19. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I can make them stink just set out in sun. My question is how to toughen them up so they will stay on hook. Any ideas?? Thanks