Give Thanks, When Thanks Is Due.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishrollo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My dad always preached to me, if a person helps you, answers your question, or is even nice to you... You say "Thank You". It is the polite way to acknowledge them, and show them you heard what they said! Anyone else brought up this way? This is something that I have tried to pass on to my daughter now, and soon my son.... My wife and myself try to teach many other respectful morals to our child as she grows................. My question to everyone is , " Do you think morals are as important now, then in the past years?" And, " Do you teach and use simple morals the same as you were taught younger?" Maybe not all use morals and simple respect towards others, but I feel they are a great asset in our society today still, and show simple mannerism and respect towards everyone! Opinions? rollo

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yessir,Jason. I do the same with mine. Saying thank you ,Please Yessir,Ma'am is just the way it SHOULD BE.:cool2:

3. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I was taught as you were to show respect and to say please and thank you. My kids are also being taught the same. It seems though that a lot of today's youth are slipping through the cracks and there morals went out the window a long time ago. I just hope my kids stay on the right track and put to use what they are being taught. Sorry for rambling on.

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Amen brother. That is the way that I was brought up and I also brought my kids up that way.

Tom

5. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I was taught to hold hold the doors open for people specially older women. Did that yesterday for two women and the thanks and compliment I got was worth the extra 30 seconds. Also whatever happened to the words Excuse Me it is rare to hear someone say it.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Seems many thanks were due.. Im out of them tonight, But A BIG Thanks verbal for the great post! Thanks!!! rollo

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I can honestly say I respect and try to show respect for everyone I meet in life. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt that they are a good person in return until they prove me wrong.

I guess the biggest thing I see is for example, I am driving through a parking lot...I see a pedestrian about to cross in front of me. I stop, smile and wave them across....
    Now I've been on the pedestrian side many times and i am amazed at how many folks will see you crossing and just keep driving forcing you to stop and they drive by and look at your like you are stupid..... Of course these people will never give you the oppurtunity to talk to them about it because they are inconsiderate cowards who only care about themselves.

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jason, great post.

My wife and I thankfully, were both raised to give thanks and to live a godly moral life. My wife seemed to retain all her upbringing, I tend to struggle with some of mine from time to time. LOL! We have tried to bring up our kids the same way. I find it might be harder to do in todays times. With the pressure of tv and material things that seem to be ruining our world. We have 4 yr. old twins and we try to teach them the same life lessons we were taught. I tell you, when I hear one of them telling someone, thank you, for even the simplest things, it puts a big smile on this ole boys face!

Thanks,
    TNVOLCAT

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    That is the way i was raised Jason and it seems we are a dying breed.

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Do unto others, man:wink: No matter what your particular belief system is that one usually works out pretty well:smile2:

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats the way I was brought up as well, To many kids these days are not being taught basic manners and respect of other people. With to many of today's kids it's all about me me me me and they want eveything given to them and right now, don't want to work for anything. I call them the right now generation :smile2:, Maybe someday, everyday morels will be more wide spread like it ounce was.

12. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I was raised with manners,and my kids were too,if they didnt show some manners when we where out,id slap em in the back of the head and straighten out right then and there,but they turned out to be good kids,all it takes now is a look from pops and they have a flash back from the head slaps they got when they was younger,its the parents fault the way the kids and grown ups act today,i didnt spare the rod on mine,and it may sound one sided,but i got dang good kids,and im proud of all of them,and to this day they know i still wont spare the rod,they laugh and say right,but all they need is the look...lol

13. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Yes I was raised that way and my children was raised like that and my grandson is being raised like that all my kids are over 18 but I still expect and demand they show respect for all [ not just their elders] people

14. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    of folks are a lost art in my humble opinion.The things that kids do and say to each other and adults is unbelieveable. I recall the incident when my Daughter was being verbally assalted via the computer. I got on and told the kid she best watch her mouth,she came back,and asked me what I was gonna do about it,and that she was so scared of the big bad mama,real sarcastic like. I was totally shocked. My parents would have had my head if I would have dared to speak to anyone like that. To day IMHO the kids are a mess.:sad2:

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I still say yes sir, no sir, please, thanks, hold open doors...all of it. Both of my kids just picked it up from us really. Monkey see monkey do I guess, LOL.

-Jim-

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Morals and manners are two totally different aspects of human behavior. Just because a person may hold high moral standards doesn't automatically give them politically correct and useful manners.Different cultures have a variety of social customs that would offend others sensibilities. I have found over many years just traveling around the good old USA that good manners are not always call for. In fact the use of them can offend instead of placate. I have often gotten the (You must think that you are better than me) response for just taking my hat off when entering some ones home. And don't let us forget the Eddy Haskel type. You have met them before, the old ; yes mam yes sir, stab you in the back kind. The one thing that morals and manners do have in common is they can impress upon us some ones depth of character. I see this as a very important aspect in the life long pursuit of friendship and brotherly love and most impotently fishing partners. I am also strongly apposed to beating morals and scaring manners in to kids, those looks only work when you are in their presents. And how can striking someone be considered good manners? I love to hold doors open, tip my hat to the Lady's and extend my hand upon meeting a stranger. Now how about table manners. Do you wipe your mouth with a napkin before you take a drink from a glass so as not to leave lip prints on it? lol I guess thats another thread..:smile2:

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Back in 2007 I started a fun thread on another internet forum. The name was "Things you don't hear anymore". One of the first someone entered was "Thanks". The thread has hits every day or so, Thanks has appeared many times. I agree, thanks is a dieing word!

Kids learn from what they hear at home.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would think that "please" would be holding a close second.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the responses.....rollo

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    ya got that right, the kids i see around the neighborhood seem ta just look for trouble, i don't think the "time out chair" is workin:confused2: