Give me a Kegerator, or give me death!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have been talking with Mark, and looking at the available kits and stand alone kegerator(s) on the market.

I am going to go with a kit, as it is much cheaper.

Anybody have a Kegerator in the house?

Pro's / Con's, Horror Stories? :smile2:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Cons/ You will be amazed at how many buddys you have.....:tounge_out:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Commander, just let the wind blow through the fridge. But while I got ya here, I think you might come back. Do you know some guy named Betty? My wife sent this guy named Betty a letter. A complicated letter and one I am not supposed to know about. But I have found out about the letter, and I am so excited I just can't keep from biting my tongue. There is a problem, and I will probably post in the main forum addressed to the BOC Better Business Bureau and we will get the Feds involved. I might even have BG write a complaint letter to. He is good at long involved letters.Keep the sand out of your socks and don't take any Iraqi wooden nickels.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The pros outnumber the cons. The only cons I can think about are mobility and kegs run dry. Mine has to be fed a supply of nitrogen and CO2.

Mine is a full size double side by side door refrigerator like you probally have in your kitchen. 2 beer taps on the door just like those you see in a bar.
    Various beer brand paddles so I can change the "look" once in awhile.
    One tap is for Guiness Which requires the injection of nitrogen into the beer and then for it to be extracted from the beer before it hits the glass.
    My other tap is for any other kind of beer from the Buttwipers, the Natural Lights, or the Sam Adams.
    With a full size fridge model I can run two kegs at once or mutiple small kegs off of one tap or multiple taps. I can mix beer like the Black and Tans.

Another pro. If you like beer its alot cheaper by the keg.
    One of my everyday beers is Shiner Bock. Around here its around 7 bucks a 6 pack if you can find it.
    I can get a fullsize keg for 85.00 bucks.
    A keg of Guiness for 135.00.

If you want to tap Guiness you'll need a nitrogen bottle, regulator, Guiness tap, and you'll need to either rent or buy the actual keg tap. Guiness is just a different animal entirely. You cant take a keg tap that will tap everything under the sun and tap Guiness with it. The same goes for the dispensing tap.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    MarkJ: I owe you an apology. I have always screwed up when judging a man by the smile on their face and the way they comb their hair. I have failed again. You are indeed a man of quality. I should know that a man who likes his beer good and served in a quality manner is OK in my book. You are such a man. I will no longer poke at you nor be disrespectful. May you never run out of Nitrous and your beer always be cold. John

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well here I go again feeling like the guy fishing on the bank, while the party barges float by.....and I was just excited as the mountains just turned blue on my six pack of longnecks!

:smile2:

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Boots, save two. I'll trade ya some cut bait, if you will twist the caps for me. We'll just let the party boats go on down to N' Orlean and we will watch the hurricane blow in.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you like beer, and drink a couple of a cases of beer a week, a kegorator is the way to go. Its alot cheaper.
    Put out the tip cup for friends and neighbors. Help pitch in for the keg.
    Or you can just horde it behind lock and key.:big_smile:

There will be a kegorator on the pontoon boat with an official tap.
    None of this hand pump stuff. Thats for birds.
    This wont be a full size kegorator. It'll hold the smaller kegs we keg the home brew in.:big_smile: Usually something dark and hopped enough to cave your face in.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I had this same discussion with Mr.T a while back as I knew he has one. I'm sure he will be along and possibly add some more info.

Do you guys have a lock on the tap some how? I'm just wondering how to keep the o lady from taking a nap around mid day when I get home from fishing and hearing that fizzing empty barrell sound....:eek:oooh::confused2:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The secret. A man should never have his playground in his backyard like what most of us call a "shop".

My shop is across the road and down in the corner of a field surrounded by trees. Yea, it has a lock on the door.:big_smile:
    I call it therapy. Its my corner of the world. The women folk know to leave me alone in my world. They have that side of the road. I have mine:wink: There is no better place to have a kegorator.
    Anybody that comes to see me goes to the shop first. Thats most likely where I'll be and where they want to be. Close to the suds.

11. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I put an Electronic Key pad, "Dead Bolt" lock on the front door, now I have to rig one for the access panel to the beer tap :smile2:

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Reading this thread has made me awful thirsty! :wink: I agree about the savings of buying beer by the keg plus draft beer just tastes better. The down side is as Mark J. said the portability factor. I just try to keep a case of cans or bottles around when I need traveling beer and drink the draft at home. I have a side by side Fridge/Freezer in my garage with a single tap out the side. One note of caution to anyone who installs a system like this: be careful when drilling the hole through the side of the fridge. I killed a previous fridge when I drilled through the freon line! :eek:oooh::sad2: The darn line crossed center at the exact spot I drilled and well there was this hissing sound and... I knew I slashed the jugular on that thing! :crazy: When I hauled it to the scrap yard the guy there told me the freon must be removed before they can accept it and I told him "trust me its been removed"! :smile2:

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    You guys are living in my dream world,a world that's never there when I wake up.:cry:

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Personally, I don't get it!

Perfectly good Old Crow whiskey around at nearly every corner store and you guy's choose beer?

Oh, well, to each their own!

:0a30:

:0a14:

:0a19:

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :0a27::ah::dribble::nosebleed::choler::after_boom::tire:

16. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    My poor little fridge has one lonely bottle in it.

Thankfully, it's almost October and I can restock it :smile2:

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Waiting for that check, 'eh Mossydade. Mine comes on the 19 th every month. It's the only payday I have ever enjoyed. The work has already been done.

18. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mine still comes 26 times a year, I have another 8 years before I can retire:crazy:

Today is grocery day, it just happens to be almost october:smile2:

19. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I'm not sure that a keg would work for me. What about mowing grass??? A glass or mug of beer would spill to easy on the rider. Give me my little 4 can cooler and I can git r done. lol What about working in the field, can't have that keg at one end or the other.

I think those kegs are for old folks, like you see in the bars, never getting up off the bar stool,unless nature calls. LOL

I'm getting ready to head for my shop and weld some more on this crusher I'm building. I have cold cans and long necks in the frig. If a can gets knocked over when I'm working, it's no big deal, thats why they sell 30 packs. lol With a keg I would have to drink beer out of Tupper ware glasses. Boy that even sounds bad. lol

My little frig in the shop holds 2 - 30 packs and a case of Miller long necks. Plenty of cold beer for a shop. There might even be a few cans of pop in it.

Maybe when I get real old I will get a keg.

You guys talking about checks, mine comes on the fourth Wednesday of the month. When I get 62, then I'll start drawing my mill pension. Till then just SS disability.

I just refilled my frig yesterday.

Hey you guys have fun, I need to work for a little while before it gets hot. Supposed to be 82 today. I like to work in the cool of the mornings in the shop.

:wink::wink:

20. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I share my "shop" with 5 dogs, 5 cats, 16 guineas and 1 horse. When I saw a cat licking the top of my newly opened beer can the other day, I thought there has to be a better way. Maybe I can get one of those Sears steel sheds, put a wood burner in it and move all my wood working stuff in there. Hard to handle an 8' board and a can of beer at the same time. Maybe the wife will let me use the spare bedroom.

About that check. I hope the Govt' don't run out of money till I am dead.