Ginseng

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    How many of y'all dig 'seng? My Dad used to love to go and dig it in the fall. He was always careful to ask the property owners. I think I get my love of the outdoors from him. He dug it prior to having to get any license. He used the money to pay the land taxes every year and buy himself a beer if there was any left over.

Course I don't think ginseng is in all areas of the US. We had a partial discussion on it the other night in chat.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The boys up in Pogy would bring in some at the Elk Mills store there. They were also very secretive of where they found it.

Good bunch of outlaws in them Mtns.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    When I was stationed at Ft Knox which was often I had a friend that dug it religiously.I never understood all the fuss until one day I asked him what it sold for and he said 200$ a LB.I said Where is the shovel??????:rolleyes: I may be wrong about the price but it could have been more.Needless to say visions of new found wealth flashed before my eyes until he told me it had to be dried which explained all the root in his rear window being sundried.I went with him often and learned how to identify it and find it and we had a lot of fun AND made a little fishing money.When I was a kid my Grandfather always had us in the woods picking whatever was ripe like blueberries,blackberries,mushrooms,choke cherries crab apples and I'm sure I got my love of the outdoors from that.Hell we were never in the house as kids, our mothers would all come out at suppertime and holler for us and each of us recognized his mothers voice from anywhere in hearing distance.Don't see that much anymore either.We only came in under protest, or hungry and always with the question;"Can I go back out after supper"?Todays kids you can't get them to go out,they are glued to the TV playing video games etc.I still love to pick blueberries at a local farm and it remains my favorite pie of all time.Thanks for reminding me!:)

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cheryl, my father and I used to dig it, but there isn't enough around anymore to bother. Vern

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I think the last time Dad dug it, the price had went a little over 300. That's been quite a few years ago. I will have to do a search and see what it's going for now.