Gimme Your Mo. River Predictions And Tips For July:

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by kat in the hat, Jun 21, 2009.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Howdee! Well, the date has been set. Me and TCAT will hit the Mo. River at either Glasgow, Dalton, or Brunswick July 5th & 6th. Didn't fish the river at all last year. In years past, we have concentrated mostly on trotlines. We got the boat rigged for R&R now, and will be making the transition. Not to say we won't put out a line, but our primary goal will be to catch those river fish on rod and reel, and I would like some predictions for July, and maybe some pointers.

We've caught some fish in the past by anchoring to the tip of wing dikes, and walking our baits back into the scour holes, but only little fish. I hooked a mega flathead around the old wooden pylons before, but it got wrapped up, and I lost it. :sad2:

We usually get our bait from the sloughs near the river, so it will be shad, carp and buffalo minnows, and perch of any type.

Any thoughts and opinions on river fishing with rod and reel in July would be cool. I'm not sure what their spawn pattern will be...if they will be mostly done, or what, or where to concentrate. It would be possible to fish up in the Chariton or Grand if needed, but in the past, we haven't had alot of success doing that.

2. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    not sure, i think it might be slow with the spawn starting to pick up. keep a bunch of different baits handy and change them till you find something that works. skip jack, shad gut, live perch, hell even worms. anything will be worth a shot.
    be safe, and good luck.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hard to get a big bite. They spawnen and seem to get lockjaw. Pick up alot od small fish around sandbars current breaks ect. A few big ones every now and then. Shadguts work for 1 to 5 lbers. Small live baits for small flats behind the dikes right next to em. July is just tough fishen. On the Mo river here. Mid aug the bite picks back up and gets better till the water goes cold in Nov.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the replies, Branden and Troy.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree with the others, it will still be a tough bite, but the catfish don't all completely disappear. I'd target mud flats between the dikes at night in 4-12 feet of water. Any kind of FRESH cut bait would be best. For daytime, I'd drift or walk bait in the main channel.

6. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    i would use live bait right where the river meets the coves.you know where the water is swirling around.... use heavy weight to keep your line in place. but i dont think there doing a whole lot right now. the end of july is gona be bangin