GILLS UNDER A FLOAT ?????

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 7, 2009.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IF I FISH WITH LIVE GILLS UNDER A FLOAT DO I HAVE TO DROP EM ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTEM OR A FOOT FROM IT ?????

COULD I MAKE LIKE A 2-3 FT LEADER AND FISH 2-3 FT UNDER THE WATER ???? ( IN DEEPER WATERS ?????)

IVE NEVER DONE FLOATS BEFORE BUT IM REALLY CONSIDERING IT.

IM CONFUSED BECASUE I THOUGHT CATS WERE BOTTOM FEEDING BEAST:smile2:

LeRoy

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The cats can go anywhere they want!!
    I've heard of folks catching them on topwater lures!!
    So, I'd say,, experiment and see what's works in the water you fish..
    I use them to float down a stretch of a canal or drain, or river, and see what happens.. sometimes they're moving, sometimes they swirl around in an eddy, but,, it's presentation, bait in the water..
    I've been wanting to try running a swimming bait about 4'-5' under a float with only a pinch weight or 2, and let the bait swim around some structure,, the float giving me an indication of the position, to help with eliminating potential snags!!
    If cats are hanging deep, they may come up to feed in shallow water, and ,, if you float over a cat that's not moving,, he may hit your bait, because it's There!!

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just got me some kat bobbers myself and im gonna experiment with them. I heard some good things about it. Go to our sponser list and look up wildwolf productions, click on them and look for the kat bobbers there is a vidieo and some testimonials I think you would enjoy. Good luck bro

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I fish floats 100% of the time from top to bottom with bluegills, best strike indicator there is.:wink:

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Fishing for Flatheads in a lake or reservoir, floating live bait is the way to go. You'll pick up a few bigger channels this way too. The Wild Wolf Kat Bobbers work great with the 8" glowsticks at night time. Theyll hold alot of weight, so you can launch them way out there. Try different depths. I like 3-5'. Fishing live bait on the bottom is hit and miss, your bait can hide, sometimes the flats or channels are suspended and dont find your bait. On calm nights when there is not alot of wind, a big bluegill,perch, or bullhead will swim around and cause alot of vibration, which will alert the cats to their presence and bring some of them up to check them out. I hooked into a real monster flathead last year doing this, and he ended up running me into a jam. I was using my channel cat rods. So when you are fishing this way, be prepared and bring your river rods. You never know when you'll have to lock the drag down , and lay into a big flathead with all youve got, to make sure he doesnt get the jump on you and head for a logjam or brushpile. Good luck. :cool2:

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have been wondering about this method myself. Seems alot more people do it than I thought. I know that Rollo made a post a while back where he demonstrated how to make cat bobbers from float tubes. Im sure its in the library somewhere.

7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I would suggest trying different depths until you find where they are biting.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Leroy,
    I use to think the same thing when I was a kid - but if you think about it, the cats that they stock some of the lakes with - they feed them
    "Floating Pellets" when the fish are at the fish farms,
    and if the food is up there -they will come. (lol)

So they will go any where there's food.

:wink:

:0a26:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post.

10. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    I use a planner bobber for fishing the canel system, the current holds the bobber out from the bank and you can put your bait at whatever depth you want, works good for flatheads. i usually put my bait 4 feet from the planner bobber and a couple split shots 2 feet under the bobber