gillnet and castnet catch

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by mbandjb, Nov 30, 2008.

1. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Put in a DG on the 27th AM. Headed to the barge pit area to find bait,nothing there.Saw some gulls working went to that area and threw the cast net go about 200 thread fin shad,no cutters.Put in Friday at DG,Didn't evern put out my gill net.
    Fished from Presquile to the barge pits,caught 4,biggest 5lbs.Had 2 good take downs,didn't get hooked up.
    Caught them on eel.
    Talked to Mike(camron krazie).He and Bruce went down river,its was to windy for me down there.
    Not a good 2 days with rod and reel..
    But had a great catch with the gill net.
    Ended up with 27 from about 1/2 lb to 3 lb,all went back.spend about an hour trying to get them outta the net.
    Was down at Presquile and screen blackout threw the cast net..
    It had about 20 baby cats 2 to 4 inches.
    Spend 30 min cleaning that mess up.Hands felt like a pin cushion.
    Oh Well,,Its gotta get better!
    mikeb

2. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    where do you get your gillnets from? i am looking for a good 50- 100 ft drift net style net for catching bait in my local river, the pamunkey. any help would be appreciated. thanks

3. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    i am still new to drift nets but have seen the locals using them and was wondering if anyone had some info on the floating kind. they seem to be much the same, but the net floats free in the current. believe it still has the lead weights on the bottom with large end buoys and small ones every few feet. can the fishnetco nets be fished floating. also can someone clarify the laws on drift nets in my local river the pamunkey. thanks in advance. this site is great.

4. cdf1961

cdf1961 New Member

State:
    va
    Here's a link to the gill net rules-http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/gillnetrules.shtm

send me a pm and I'll give you the guy's name and number where I get my nets.

5. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    whats the story with the gill nets in the james? im reading about alot of people putting them out so im assuming thier legal... any specifics about the law to watch out for.. mesh size.. special licenses.. length and depth restrictions?

and what is a cutter?

6. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
  7. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    well at least were not the only state with really confusing regulations!

is there somewhere you can purchase these special marker bouys with the flag on top for a reasonable price or is it better to just make them?

im assuming the out of state recreational gear license is $9 as well since it doesnt specify?

8. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
  9. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC

thanks mike, very helpful site

10. hotva29

hotva29 New Member

State: