Gillespie Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by alton, May 16, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Since the river at the Alton dam has been in an uproar lately, I am thinking about trying Gillespie Lake. I have never fished there. I will be bank fishing and would really appreciate any info in regard to good spots and fish size in the lake. Thanks

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    The old lake at Gilispie is the best one to fish in.. Unfortunately to get to the cats you need a boat to get to the other end of it by the lilypads.. I haven't fished the new lake, but it has so much boat traffic it probably wouldn't be any good.. The old lake has a 10 hp limit and is alot smaller, so nobody fishes it much.. I haven't been up there in 4 or 5 yrs, but it had some pretty nice size channel cats in it back then..

3. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I think that the old lake has a no wake regulation. I have only caught small fish on worms there, the catfish have a yellow belly, I guess they are channel cats or bullheads but am not positive. There is at least one giant flathead in the 50# range because I saw him chasing bass and bluegills one day.

4. catfishnate

catfishnate New Member

State:
    Illinoise
    I am from gillespie and know a few spots on the lake but dont go to the new lake it sucks.drop me an e-mail at mallnate@yahoo.com if u want to know more

5. catfishnate

catfishnate New Member

State:
    Illinoise
    gillespie lake is great but wach out for the yellow bellys there every wher but a good lake caught lots of chanal and blue

6. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I saw a gigantic flathead chasing bluegill and bass in the old lake, I would say he went at least 50 lbs.

7. catfishnate

catfishnate New Member

State:
    Illinoise
    the gillespie old lake i boomin went the 26 of aug. and 2 of my buddys joind me on this trip and we slamed them all night went from 2#s to about 8#s nothing to small but have pulled a few 20#ers out of thire this year this is the only lake I fish I never go home empty handed so any of u lookin 4 some good fishin hit that lake wile it is good fish the shallows right up on the bank next to the grass :roll_eyes: