Gillespie lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BIG_D, May 22, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    naber friend of mine just got a new pontoon boat last week he got a yearly permit for Gillespie lake he invited me and My wife Tina to go out with him and his wife sunday i have never fished that lake can any of you guys give me some input on the lake thay are good friends and thay will be on us quiet a bit to go that dont bother me one bit just like to up the anty on a good day cating any advice is welcome thanks

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    You going to the old lake or the new lake the new lake is almost 3 times bigger then the old lake . Either of them is good for channels . Never caught any flats or blues there just channels and bullheads . New lake is a great crappie lake . Its been years since I was up that way fishing . Used to have lots of family up there and hit it a few times a year .

There is lots of coves in that lake but our best luck was about midway across lake go south to the end of that cove we used to fish light up bobbers and g&s cheese bait near the bank and caught tons of 3 to 9 pound channels there . Like I said it has been awhile . Good luck to you though hope you have a great time .

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Floyd its the new lake

4. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I have been told to fish the lilly pads at the old lake I saw a monster flathead there 2 years ago he went about 80 lbs. I really could not believe my eyes. Personally I have only caught bullheads, but have heard of lots of fish coming from both lakes.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hmmmm, 80#er, that would have been a new record......;)

6. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    well it was very big.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LOL, Yes I know Troy just yanken yer chain a bit..... Your thinking to hard about your up coming trip and well just remember that 90% of the time less is more ;)

8. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I was totally laughing about it. It was kinda of a fish story. I remember when I saw it I was amazed there was something that big in there. I think if we could find the biggest fish in our waters we would be shocked. :crazy: Anyway back to the lake it does have some potential for a trophy sized cat. I have seeen some pics where guys are holding a niced size stringer. That was back in the 90's. I wish I could have gotten some lakeside property back then.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    YEP!, Hey one thing to keep in mind I would guess for the next 2-3 weeks anyway, between yesterday and today, Daughter and I have been from Carlyle, Coffeen and Both Lakes in Hillsboro, ALL 4 lakes we found all the cat in the rocks on bank and only out off bank up to say 20 feet. Bait did not seem to matter at any one of them, we started in our usual spot and soon moved in, at Carlyle yesterday and Coffeen this morn, some times the bait never hit bottom and they were slamming it, we ended up at Glenn Shoals at noonish and fished for a few hours then went back to the camp at Coffeen, but all the lakes were holding tight to bank. I can not really tell ya how many cat we caught, but I know I could have filled a 50 quart cooler atleast 3 times easy..... they were anywhere from 1/2 pound up to the best one my little girl stuck was just shy of 14#. Best part, we were using our normal 7/0 Sickles and NO weight, nothing but a hook and bait, it was a blast! she is wore out bad, but told me just before she passed out for the night that we WERE going back to Coffeen in the EARLY morning for Striper, LOL! I just love it I tell ya, she is so hooked on fishing it isn't funny, LOL! Any way I thought I would let ya know that info on them, considering the different water and distance of them (which is not all that far) but I am guessing just about everywhere right now (here anyway) they are up tight, so look for some rip/rap, rocks if the action isn't what your wanting in the main lake.:wink:

By the way let me know where and when your gonna be for sure at Haslett, maybe Sis and I can stop by one day while you and the family are there? :big_smile: