Gill traps.

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Apr 12, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Does any body know how to build gill and carp traps. I would really like to know. The reason i would like to know is my aunts pond is over populated by carp and gills. The gills are all really small but the carp average 3-5 pounds. I have only been able to catch one carp and it was small compared to what alot of the boc brothers and sisters have caught. Need to know really soon. Thanks and have a great day.

2. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dynamite works well !
    Just kidding , you might check the members library.

Mike-

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Check out the boc library they might have something in there about it

4. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If you dont have brush in it id try seining . If you cant sein it try floating fish food then when they are conditioned to the sound sneak a nightcrawler in on them.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just built a trap that I read about in the library. Its pretty nice and there are alot of good descriptive pictures. The only bad thing is that I failed to read the reg's for my state before building it... I built one with 1/2" mesh when we are not supposed to use one larger than 1/4" mesh. So I would suggest checking out your regulations first, but there is a real nice article or two in the library. The only thing I'm wondering is what is the best bait for bluegill? Will bluegill go for dog food in it?

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in a private pond the state regs have no athourity. you can in fact poison dynomite or fill in youir own. getting rid of carp without killing the rest. good luck. your best bet may be persistance. get a 50lb bag of food and 3 john boats. feed in the middle daily at specific times. they will soon become aware of this activity. then get a large net like 100' long by 15' deep. as they swarm the food circle them with the net using the other two boats. a long rope ran through the nets bottom attached to one end and drawn up will close off there escape. you need floats on the top of the net to keep it afloat. drag it to shore and seperate out carp from gamefish. other than this a few times i dought youll ever rid it of them. but like goldfish (related to carp) thell horde at a feeding station.

7. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Ill have to try that. Thanks cats4uandme.

8. fester

fester New Member

State:
    Arizona
    you can try bowfishing!! It's a blast with carp

9. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Cant my aunt wont let me bowfish in her pond any more. Atleast since the duck incident. I accidentaly killed a duck trying to shoot a large catfish that was under where the duck was and my shot was high and hit the duck. Atleast they were in season.

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Now that is just bad duck luck!:wink:

11. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I know it sucks and a bad decision on my part. Ill atleast admit that. Talk to yall later.

12. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana

first of all there is no gill trap...only a gill net, and to be effective needs to be place in moving water which traps the fish b/c of their gills getting caught in the netting...hence the term. next as far as a carp trap goes, i can send u some pics of the only one ive ever seen...u need to start out on something small scale to work out the kinks in trap building. ive been doing it quite a few years and its trial and error like anything else. ill take some pics on a perch/pinfish trap i designed and built. if u look on my profile, youll find pics of quite a few traps ive built. the most rescent one being my catfish/carp trap i finished sat night. if u need any info, gimme a holler.
    shaun

13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Is what i was meaning is a blue gill trap. Not a net of any kind. I should have made that a little more clear.

14. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I started making my trap. Im flying by the seat of my pants on this one. Thanks for youre help and talk to yall later.

15. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    A pond full of gills and carp sounds like the perfect excuse to have a fishin party. :)

16. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I tried to get a bunch of orientals to come and catch as many as they wanted but they wouldnt. They will only eat carp in the spring. They say it tastes like dirt. Im going to have some buddys come out with some big nets and well get some. The biggest my cousin has caught was 35 lbs. He caught that monster on a dry worm. Ohh i finished my trap a little bit ago. It looks like i could catch some of the little bull heads and channels thay have in the pond to with it.