Gill Nets

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jwfish, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I am heading back down to the james in two weeks and trying to see if I can use a gill net in the deep bottom area of the james for bait.I have called the game and fishery officies and am getting the run around.I finely called one of the guides and he said I could get a permit at dances sporting goods for 10 bucks.I have a 50ft 2 inch mesh net and would like to use it instead of my throw net.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You sure can. I use mine all the time. Deep Bottom is usually loaded with huge shad. Gill nets fall under the jurisdiction of the VMRC, not DGIF, so that is why it may have been hard getting good info from them.

Here are the regs as they were amended earlier this year. Recreational gill nets are still permitted. Scroll to the bottom for the section on recreational gill nets:

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/gillnetrules.shtm

Basically, you need to mark each end of of the gill net with a min 3.5" diameter blaze orange marker, inscribed with an "R" and the last four digits of your SSN on each one. And you cannot leave the gill net unattended. Don't forget to carry your license with you. And you are correct, Dance's Sporting Goods has them. It was a really quick procedure to get one. May want to verify you can get one with an out of state driver's license.

3. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks I though you could.I called both of them agencies and they told me you couldn't and bounced me back and fourth.I will be down there the 6-11 october going out of deep bottom or jordons point in a 18 foot tan fisher with a parrot holding a cane pole painted on the side of it.If any of you boc members see my wife and me stop by and say hi.Thanks again for the ok on the gill nets JPritch.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good luck. They are starting to bite again.

5. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hi jerry,come on downand catch a big ole blue.Give me a call when you get in town and maybe we can hook one day and fish,I met you and better half last year on the river,biggest fish this summer have been 51.5,48.5 ,48.6 and,42

6. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Hi Bruce send me a pm and let me get your phone number and I will get in touch when I get down there.Is it still a night time bite or are they hitting during the day yet?I would be happy with any of them cats you got this year.

7. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey jwfish,
    My wife and I are going to be down Oct 6-7.
    Probably put in a Deep Bottom on Sat and Jordan Point on Sunday.
    Be in a tan and green Alumicraft 16.5 ft.

I will be trying my gill net for the first time also..
    This will be our first trip since the spring.
    Send me a pm.
    mikeb

8. HookLineSinker

HookLineSinker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I usually fish alone and it took a time or two to get the kinks worked out while setting the net. Some things I've learned: A second person to run reverse is helpful but not necessary, set with the tide or it may float, if the current or tide is working against you while retrieving- drag a small anchor while pulling it in by hand, look for ripples in float line, and don't wait too long or you'll have more than you need.

Oh yea these too: every little barb on you or your boat will be found by the net, take off your wedding ring (I lost mine pulling the net... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
    :smile2:

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for some great information, gentlemen!

You are what makes the BOC a great community.

Helpful tips on gill nets and regulations too...thanks!

10. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I am making a gill net to use on the James. It will be 50ft/4ft. Out of state NC. Can I get a license at Dances to use it?????

11. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Yep you can get one at Dances I am from Ohio and I got one ther for 10 to 12 bucks.Did not have to use it though there were so many bait fish I just made about five throws with my throw net and had bait for the day.

12. DanMan

DanMan New Member

State:
    VA
    can you buy a gill net and if so from where? I'm pretty good with a throw net so is it really worth all the trouble? As I fish by myself alot.

13. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Yes, The Gill Nets are great. In the cold of Winter and bait is tricky, gill nets rule. Even in the Spring and Fall, not getting wet and quickly getting a dozen of so nice gizzards is so easy You end up not losing fishing time looking for bait. I keep my throw net on board but I try the gill net first.

14. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Opps!!!! VA Marine # for a list of locations that sell gill net licenses.
    757 247-2200.

15. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey DanMan,
    I got my net from a company in louisana called:
    The Fishnet company..
    Just google it and you will find their web site.
    I got my infomation on what net to use from "Nightfisher" he has a web site that is just great its
    Catfishingonthejames.com
    He has the link to the fishnet co. on his website.
    really nice guy!!
    Hope this helps...:big_smile:
    mikeb

16. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have also had thoughts of getting a gill net for the james, what size mesh do you guys recommend.

17. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    My gill net has 1.75 inch mesh, 3 1/2 inch stretched. 75 yards long and a gizzard shad catching machine.:smile2: