Gill nets

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Rapp-Catter-06, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Don't know if any one has heard yet but the dgif is making the use of gillnets above the salt fresh line illegal after october 17th for catching gizzard shad. I heard this from a pretty reliable source who is close with some folks at the vmrc. Check the vmrc meeting minuets for july 18th. I don't know if the minuets are posted to their site yet but I know the topic was discussed. Some of the local fellows are trying organize for the meeting with some ideas to present to the dgif.

2. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Keep us posted on what you hear. Ill start freezing shad. That would be a nightmare for me. Gill nets are so much easier to use in the winter. I can use a cast net if I have to. But I like to save time and spend more time fishing. I dont have any problem with wasted bait I fish till It runs out.

3. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    I throw a cast net as well. I haven't had much luck on the rappahanock with catching shad with it. In the winter it can be very difficult.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's hard to get any kind of bait here in the winter. There are no Shad in the upper James, Bream don't bite too well. I usually try to make the hour drive to SML and freeze Shad (Alewifes) but they don't stay on the hook as well when frozen.

5. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    The Vdgif has decided it is going to make the use of gill nets above the saltfresh line illegal in all of the tidal rivers. The VMRC

6. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry about that computer malfunction!! The Vmrc sells and regulates the recreational gillnet license has allowed the taking of gizzard shad in the tidal rivers up to the fall line.We have all been acting under their regulations for years. Just recently the Vdgif disputed that they regulate the gizzard shad because it is a freshwater fish not an estuarian fish and that they do not allow the taking of fish that they regulate with gillnets so the action is illegal. The vdgif action being disputed by local catfish anglers who use the nets to catch bait.We have offered regulation changes with the current vmrc rules that are taylor made for catching gizzard shad for catfishing. The proposal of the new regs will be before the vdgif soon.We really need the help of all anglers interested in protecting our right to continue to use our gill nets to collect gizzard shad under the vmrc regs.Or the help of any anglers who are interested in using a gillnet in the future.If you want to help please send me your first and last name and the city or county you live in so that your name can be added to the petition