Gill Nets/Commercial Fisherman

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by price, Jan 3, 2008.

1. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    There are a ton of gill net sets on the Cape Fear during the shad run, and you better believe their getting their share of big cats I have seen it 1st hand.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's destroying our catfishing, and will continue till we do something about it.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There are a bunch of idiot commercial fishermen out there, however, there are a lot of guys who really know their stuff, know the laws, know where and how to fish and don't do ridiculous stuff like that. Guys like the one that left that particular net give all commercial fishermen a bad name which isn't fair. Guys are just trying to make a living and a few morons are ruining it for everyone. It's really a shame. In another generation there may not be any more commercial fishing which I think would be a travesty.

5. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC

If you dont mind me asking where on the cape fear can you have a net? I do occasionally drift a 3" 50yd net just to catch enough shad to use for catfish bait, and dont worry i couldnt be further from a commercial fisherman and completely agree with you on net laws

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    DH84 you are required to have a special device licenses that's all you need to be legal.

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
  8. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Also, if you read on page 27, it says nongame fish may be taken for bait only with the equipment listed. It does not list a gill net as legal equipment for taking baitfish anywhere. This book is complicated. Evidently you can use a gill net to take nongame fish for food or to sell, but not as bait.

9. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC

yea ive got the recreational/commercial license and i know its only the coastal waters that its legal in, i was just curious if anyone knew where that line on the cape fear was

10. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
  11. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina

No matter what you do there is always someone that gets blamed for being the moron that ruined it for everybody when in reality he probably learned from those same guys, he was just the unfortunate one that happened to get caught. This is a very touchy subject I know but I have been out before striper fishing and gill netters come by and take my lures rigs and everything with there nets. The sport fisherman have strict limits and creels yet they let these gill netters pretty much do what they want. Ive seen these used at the James River before as well and as far as dragging them for bait how bout learning to throw a cast net which doesnt damage species that are accidentally caught.

12. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just as another said above this is a really touchy subject and Im not here to make anyone mad but it wouldnt hurt my feeling to see it outlawed completely. I have talked to catfishing guides in my local area that I consider to be by far some of the best catfisherman out there. They have both Seen a decline in the "big fish" population in the past 10-15 years. Actually one of them has not been guiding that long but before he began guiding the numbers of big fish caught per trip were a lot higher than in the past few years. I can tell you that The stretch of river they guide out of is the same stretch of river i fish and the banks are just littered with commercial fishing nets! also just got done watching one of the catfish dvds that i got for christmas called "catfishing with the pros" staring professional guide James "big cat" Patterson, and special guest Bill Dance. There is about a 5 minute section of this dvd that promotes catch photograph and release. James patterson is one of the best guides on any body of water and that is no doubt, just watch some of his dvd's. They were fishing the Mississippi River. Mr. Patterson stated that over the past 15 or so years of professional guiding the big fish population has declined DRAMATICALLY. He and BIll Dance discussed this on the dvd and I thought it was great to hear what the pro's have to say about the netting. Plain and simple, the people out in all of our river systems are wanting the big fish due to how much they can get per pound from the pay lakes. A round about average for these fish is anywhere from $2.00 per pound to $2.75 per pound depending on how big the need is at the time. As far as Im concerned, Every fish that they take out of the river in my area is just another fish that I don't get the chance to catch and for anyone else to catch out of that particular body of water. I have watched some of the netters in my local area pull there nets up and they DO get a very big number of fish out of the river and most of these fish are large. I would say most of them between 20-50 lbs. These fish are not only being taken out but are never going to get the chance to lay eggs ever again in that river system. Once again this is a touchy subject but you never know how many fishing trips you may have caught 10 fish instead of 5 and you can thank commercial netting for this. Trust me ive seen them pull up there nets. THEY GET A LOT MORE THAN YOU THINK!!

Now this is just something that bill dance said on the dvd, but Ill trust him over anyone who comments about it. He said that there were catfish recorded in the late 1800s-early 1900s that were in excess of 200lbs. He also stated that fish never get the chance to get that big anymore because they are netted out of the rivers before they every get the chance. I feel with all my heart that there is a blue cat in some river in the U.S. That is 200lbs and if not i would say pretty close to it but there is just not as many as there were before Dance stated. some of this is due to people catching the bigger fish and just not letting them go but think about it, there not taking as many as the netters. One of the local netters from my area that i bump heads with sometimes makes a good living running a paylake and netting the river. That is all he does. Most of the money brought in is from the fish he nets out of the river though and that is coming straight from the horses mouth. Lets say he goes out in one evening and nets six 30lb fish and gets 2.00 per pound for them. Thats $360.00. It would be hard to pass up that type of money for the amount of work that is put into it. Set the nets for a few hours at most and come back in 24 hours and pull them up for a few more. $360.00 aint bad for 4 hours work. Thats great money and i cant blaim the netters for wanting to do it but it is hurting the big fish population in my local stretch of river and i betcha anything its the same where all of you are, you just might not notice it unless you fish on a daily basis like the guides that i mentioned above. not trying to stir up trouble just throwing some facts out there. Bad part is evan if the states would put limits on the fish that are netted out, it wouldnt help. Most of the netters Ive seen pulling up there nets are doing so at night. Ive never seen a state watercraft boat out at night in my area. Im not against fish being taken out it they are an eater fish. I have taken home some for the plate. 2-4lb channels ive eaten many of.

I would have never put this on here had i not watched the dvd's and talked to professional catfish guides. These are coming from very reliable resources so Im not just blowing steam. We are all brothers on here, I just wanted to throw some facts out there that the pros have proven over the past 10 years or so.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I think that it's really unfortunate that a lot of people view ALL commercial fishermen as evil. It honestly and truly isn't fair. I can't speak about anywhere but NC, I have no idea what goes on in Ohio and other parts of the country. I do, however, know that there are some commercial guys that abide by the rules and make an honest living. If that guy in the video knew at all what he was doing his net wouldn't have been stranded on that shallow flat at low tide, that is fact. I work at a fish house in Eastern NC and I deal with a lot of commercial fishermen, some great, some good, and some bad. The guys that do nothing but commercial fish are typically the ones that know what they're doing and don't break the laws. I deal with probably the finest waterman in NC on a daily basis and if you could sit down and talk with the guy you'd understand where I'm coming from. I don't think that just b/c somebody else is catching fish that you want to catch that you should be able to say "sorry, I'm better than you b/c I use a rod and reel, you can't do it anymore". That to me is just ridiculous. I have nothing against somebody making an honest living on the water if they do it responsibly and do it withing the law.

14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Fatflattie,

Well said!

Where does anyone get the idea that us, the recreational fishermen, have more rights to the fish than does a man who's feeding his family?

Let me get this straight, is there anyone who thinks we should let the fish go so we can catch them over and over again for fun, as opposed to someone harvesting them to feed his family?:waaaht:

15. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Oh I have no doubt that these folks you speak of are good people and im glad they go by the laws. Im definetly not saying that im better than them because i catch fish on rod and reel. Im sure they are very good at what they do. The difference between me and them is im putting my fish back in the river system they came from and keeping my mind where it should be. CONSERVATION. harvesting selection is the key, evan biologist studies have proven it on the Ohio and Mississippi river. Bad thing is bad harvesting is taking the big fish out. See i have no clue what the rules and regs are where you live but where im located in ohio there are no restrictions on how many Bluecats are netted out. As Bill Dance said it "someone can bring a trowly net from the golf of New Mexico and take 300,000 pounds and there is no regulation or law that saids they cant do it. Thats my problem with it. In North Carolina is there a limit on how many catfish one netter can take per year? If so thats Great, that would be the fix we need here on the Ohio. The numbers arent dimenishing so much now but just think of all the hatchlings that never get hatched in the years to come because they have been taken out. Some of these guys I speak of netting are doing it as many days they can weather permitting. Im not on here to start trouble, I just hate to see the big fish numbers decline the way that the biologist studies have proven that they are. To be honest with everyone I don't need the biologist studies, I believe the Professional guides who say it on all there dvd's ive bought.

16. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I didn't even know commercial netting was allowed in the river. I would think it would be tuff with all the structure to get hung up on.

I watched that video and it is surprising the fisherman left that net like that. I run a 100 yard net sometimes in the intercoastal waterway and I allways remain with the net until I'm ready to pull it out. I think responsible netting is one thing but the total lack of respect for the environment like whats in that video is terrible. It is pretty bad that it just takes 1 or 2 nut cases to give something a bad name.

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Robin, to answer your question you can't set a gill net in inland waters for any fish much less catfish(I may be wrong, but I've never seen a gill net set in any public water in NC other than in the salt/brackish water). We do, however, have guys who jug/bush hook/shock our freshwater systems to death. Like I said earlier, I can't comment on any other area that the one I'm in but I just don't think that banning commercial fishing is anywhere close to a good idea here. My biggest problem with our area is the complete lack of law enforcement on our waterways. I still have never seen a wildlife officer in a boat in any public waterway in eastern NC and I fish a bunch. That is the problem, not the commercial fishermen. The guys that go out without permits and do things illegally aren't getting caught b/c there is nobody out there enforcing the laws. I have no problem with anyone fishing by whatever method they see fit so long as they do it responsibly and within the law. There are some laws in NC that need to be looked at and changed b/c it would be better for everyone involved. To ban commercial fishing would be a travesty, it's what the entire coast of NC was founded by.

18. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    The thing is that we as recreational fisherman are allowed 10 American Shad per day, whether it be for bait or food. The commercial guys have no limit they pay a little more for a special device license $10 and inland commercial $100. They have been nice enough to me to give me some buck shad for bait but they always have more and bigger blues in their boat than I do with rod and reel! And i am talking 30lb+ fish. And from lock one down there a dime a dozen. So whats fair?

19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It seems to me that this has struck a cord in a lot of bro's on here. Here is my take on the subject if anyone cares. There are millions of occupations in the nation, and every man has the right to his share of the pie...(legally). Being as diehard of a catfisherman as they come, I hate to see the large numbers of big fished being removed from my waterways, that being said, I guess the way I look at it is this. As long as it's done legally, there is nothing wrong with it. In my mind is it a problem? absolutley, but I can't hate on a guy whos out there feeding his kids, doing the right thing, and doing something legally. I hate seeing big fish taken out of water systems period..with a net or rod and reel. So it may be easier for some to zero in on commercial guys because you could say they are putting a larger dent in the fishery, but still it is legal, and there is nothing I can do about it. I don't like it and I can't say that enough, but the bottom line is that is there god given right, and there job. Now I do have a problem with the late night covert operations of boats taking large fish from the water illegally and selling them to the highest bidder on the paylake open market, and unfortunatley that goes on alot around here, don't know about other states.And in turn, that gives all of the commercial guys a bad name. As much as I hate to see it, all you can do is take it with a grain of salt I guess, the big fish are disappearing, and it doesn't look like that will change, simply because alot of laws are never inforced. I mean come on, I buy a fishing license every year, and have yet to be asked for it. So if the system is broken at that low of a level, how are we to expect that anything else will be done to eliminate the illegal poaching that goes on right under our noses every day? Its sad to see fish taken in large numbers without a doubt, but when it's someone's lively hood, it is what it is. But to say that it isn't effecting the fishery is outragious, even still sometimes life isn't fair I guess.:sad2:

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana