gill net?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by DanMan, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DanMan

DanMan New Member

State:
    VA
    Just want to make sure I am right. I know I have the right gill net so I can use it all year. And I know before long the shad run will start but what I don't know is what I can keep and what I can't. Don't even know where I can look to find this info. And also info. on the striper (rod & reel) is it C&R only or what the length limits are. Thanks for any help guys

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You can't keep any American Shad.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Great question:

According to the DGIF:

"Gizzard shad and white perch may also be taken from below the fall line in all tidal rivers of the Chesapeake Bay using a gill net in accordance with Virginia Marine Resources Commission recreational fishing regulations. "

Link: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/nongame.asp

Then according to MRC:

* It is unlawful for any person to use any recreational gill net to catch and possess any species of fish that is regulated by an annual harvest quota (includes: black drum, black sea bass, bluefish, scup, speckled trout, striped bass, and summer flounder) [4 VAC 20-670-30].
    * It is unlawful for any person using a recreational gill net, fish cast net, or fish dip net to take and possess more than the recreational possession limit for any species regulated by such a limit. When fishing from any boat, using recreationally licensed gear, the total possession limit shall be equal to the number of persons on board legally eligible to fish multiplied by the individual possession limit for the regulated species, and the captain or operator of the boat shall be responsible for adherence to the possession limit [4 VAC 20-670-30].
    * It is unlawful for any person using a recreational gill net, fish cast net, or fish dip net to take and possess any fish which is less than the minimum size established for that species. When different size limits for commercial and recreational fishermen are in effect for a species, the size limit applicable to recreational or hook & line fishermen shall apply to such species when taken by recreational gill nets, fish cast nets, or fish dip nets [4 VAC 20-670-30].

Link: http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/recfish&crabrules.shtm

Any lawers here that can interpret this?

I have an email in to the local Game Warden to get it straight from the horses mouth.
    I'll post his response when I get it.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    3.75 inch stretched width of mesh is legal year round. When you call Oran Shea or whomever to buy your net, tell them 3.75 inch stretched. You want the heaviest Monofilament line they have or you will be fixing holes in your net pretty quick. My net is made out of 17 pound test mono which is why it has lasted 5 years with nary a hole. Expect to pay $120-$140 for a 100 foot good quality net. Good luck

5. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Welcome to the BOC Russell.

I just got my first gill net and had some of the same questions.

Thanks for the info Chuck!

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Here's the response from the local conservation officer about what you can keep:

"First let me say that tidal fishing laws on the Potomac are set by Potomac River Fisheries Commission and Virginia Marine Resources Comm, not by VDGIF. I am not as knowledgeable about netting laws because we (CPO's) usually do not enforce them on tidal waters including the creeks in Virginia. You should be contacting VMRC at their website to find out more about this to be sure. I know you need a special license for a gill net. I believe as long as you are NOT taking any gamefish, you are OK, meaning you can take Yellow Perch, Carp and Hickory Shad (not American Shad)

Hope this helps.

Randy C. Grauer
    Conservation Police Master Officer
    Va. Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries
    1320 Belman Road
    Fredericksburg, Va. 22405
    off: 540-899-4169 "

I'm going to follow up with VMRC to get their take. Stay tuned.

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I find the laws and how they're written up to be very confusing. Not to mention too many law bodies covering various confusing area's. Marine Police, Conservation Police, Va Game Police, ect...You do need to be a lawyer to figure this out because I'm sure the enforcers are not sure either. just my 2 cents. Thanks for all the info I'm sure it's clear to most but I'm in the dark on alot of it.:sad2: