gill net weights

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Feb 18, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Got my net. Now on to setting it up.

What are you guys using for weights and how many pounds?

The floats that I ordered seem kinda small. They are the 4 inch floats. Any suggestions for the floats and how much weight do they need to hold up, or are they just so you can find it?

Thanks in advance.

Oh by the way I heard a report that some shad were at Walkers Dam.

Spring is a comming!:smile2:

2. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use cast iron sash weights, about 2" in dia. and 10" long (about 6 lbs each.they sink into the muddy bottom when you drop them and hold very well.
    I color coded them and the crab trap floats so that you know which one goes out first.
    I store the net in a small rectangular tub and fashined a vinyl skirt which serves both as a cover when not in use and a gunnal cover to prevent tangles with the boat when deploying the net solo.
    I also installed a PVC pipe in each corner of the tub to hold the weights and resist tangles.
    Catch me on the river one day and I will show you the setup.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use the same set up as bruce sans the vinyl, (Good Idea) that goes over the gunnel. I store mine in a walmart tub with top. I put a bungee cord around the whole container so the top doesn't blow out on the highway. I store the crab pot floats inside the container with the net and the window weights same as Bruce uses, I store them in the floor of my boat in one of two storage places I have up front. Word of advise when putting out the net or pulling the net. Your net will find and snag every zipper or watch or anything not smooth.

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I use 2.5 lb dumbbell weights on each end of my net and my floats are 5 in diameter by 7 inches long. The floats should float the entire net and weight combo or have a rope long enough attached so it will float even in the deepest water near where you will use it. That just in case the tide or something else drags it into deep water so you don't lose it.

Reddcat,
    I like the idea of the vinyl skirt to keep the net from catching on everything in the boat. Someone else said that if there is something to catch it on it will catch and they're right. Thanks for the tip.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have bunches of one inch drain holes drilled all over the side and bottom of the Net Storage Tub so my net will dry out after use.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Good ideas here guys, thanks.

I'm gonna drill me some holes in my tub. The smell of week old gizzard shad water at the bottom of the tub is not very appealing.

I know about the snags too...haha, zippers, boat cleats...frustrating!

7. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    thanks for all the useful post on the gill net. i use window weights on mine and the large bullet floats from boaters world.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anybody have a secret Shad whistle that calls the shad in kind of like the silent dog whistles they used to sell in the back of comic books when I was a boy.:wink: