Gill Net Setup-Help!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Moon Cat, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I tried to setup a gill net yesterday, in the Rappahannock River, VA. Do you setup the gill net perpendicular or parallel to the shore line? My net is 50 ft long, 6 foot high, with 3.5 inch stretch mesh. Should I mark shad on my fishfinder 1st or just set up in creek mouths? Should I set the net in deep water (30-40 ft) on the bottom? Or in shallow water (6-8 ft) only? How much weight should be on the bottom of the net?

Help! I only caught sticks and leaves!:crying:

2. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't us a net myself, I'm more of a line and pole fisherman. But the guys down here in Arkansas tend to have the nets coming straight off of points going out into the river. Occationally I see a net running perpendicular to the bank but, it tends to be on the edge of a cove or a small cut out in the bank of the river. The net usually hug the bottom.

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    What kind of fish are you after?

4. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I am trying to get shad for bait. The water temp was 42 F. Not sure if shad is real deep or shallow now.

5. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I use a throw net for shad. This time of the year I go to a power plant and get in the warm water. Sorry but I don't know how to use a gill net for shad

6. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Have you tried leaves & sticks for bait??:grin-big: :grin-big: :0a25:

7. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    This time of year you want to set up pretty deep usually shad are in twenty feet or so. Find them on your depth finder first a pound or two of weight is enough. Let it out and keep the other end in your hand you can feel the shad hitting the net then pull it in. If you leave it too long you will spend half the day picking them out.

8. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Thanks, for the tips im going to try the gill net the next time I go fishing.I drive 60 miles to fish so I dont like to spend hours on catching bait.I would like to get the gill net to work because I have had trouble geting bait with a cast net. any other tips would be helpful.I dont know of any warm water discharges on the Rapp.

9. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Try little falls launch. go downriver from the ramp 200 yards and you cant miss it on the left
    Waste water effluent, but the same difference, several degrees warmer,

probably won't even need the gill net, try the cast net a few times before using the gill net

10. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Doe's your net have leads on the bottom and floats on the top? Or is it a flag net?

11. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    My net has lead line on the bottom and float rope on the top. Any help would be great!

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    It definitely helps to mark shad in the vicinity. If it's dark or early (first light) they will be on flats. I like to set my net in 15 to 20 feet of water right on the edge of the channel where I marked bait. Set your net across current.

Don't skimp on buoys. I've used relatively small buoys and had current or larger fish pull the buoys under water. You could potentially even lose you net. Use a pound or two of weight at each end.

/Scott

13. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Got a chance to try my net again.I went out on the James river. I caught plenty of shad in very little time. I got it figured out. Thanks for the tips. I dont plan on using a cast net again !

14. rebhog

rebhog New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Good luck but I hope you don't catch any cats in your net.