Gill net on Norman

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by gearhead, Jan 3, 2008.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I talked to a person that sets up a gill net on some creeks in upper Norman to corral bait . He said he hid it in the woods and would set it up and leave in his boat then come back later and zig zag then when the net was jumping he would gather it up. If their were cats in it he would just clip their fins off and throw them back. Then said their where alot of cats swimming around with only one fin in Norman and laughed ,Pissed me off . I dont know if its true or not .I hope he gets caught, guess what he is mad about the 32" creel because he likes to jugg and said he keeps them all. I had to walk away .What can you do ? Some people are wastful and don't care about what you say about it or about the future of the Catfish. He's an idiot:dribble:

2. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would assume it was one gill net I got hung on in the state park area on Norman. One thing I wll tell you is that he has one less net than he did before I got there:wink:. The other thing I have seen lovely sportsman people do on Norman. You will see little tiny bream corks floating around, but not moving. Especially in all major creeks. I picked one up one day and it had fishing line attched to a rope, and a basket on the bottom with a bunchof 1-10 LB cats in a slat basket. I was surprised. All you guys know that I gently placed it right back where it was, like I do all the ones that I see now when I am at Norman....I promise:smile2:. If you fish Norman keep and eye out.:roll_eyes:

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Price,

Were those things fish traps or cages?

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I don't know how many nets or even when it was done or if he is still doing it.

5. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I call them slat baskets. They have openings that cats could swim in but not out. Most of the people using them are selling cats for fillets, but most are sold to local private lakes where the public pays to fish. They take fish out of Norman, stock their own pond, and then charge the public a fee to cach them.

6. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was on badin today and seen the same thing. When he pulled the basket up there were about 100 cats in it.:angry: The biggest one was about 3 lbs. I just look at him and he looked back at me like i was crazy. All i can say is he better be glad he took the basket with him.

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    There's a lot of places in the state where fish traps are illegal, probably even most of the state. But it appears that they're legal at Lake Norman as best I can tell from the Regs Digest. Wander where (and why) the decision is made to have them legal in one county and illegal in another?

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I would keep an eye out for him and if I got chance i'd cut his nets or baskets up. If he was feeding his family would be one thing. But cutting the fins off and throughing them back is a nother.

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
  10. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    1. Gill nets and Fish traps are special devices that can only be used during designated seasons per county. (see fig.1)

2. You cannot use either of these devices to catch bait anywhere in NC. They are for catching non-game fish to sell only. Therefore, no comparison to a cast net should be made (see fig.2)

3. You can use fish traps in all 4 counties (Catawba, Iredell, Lincoln and Mecklenburg) that make up Lake Norman to catch all the non-game fish of any size you want to sell, all year long, as long as you have the Special Device License and follow the fish trap rules (see fig.3)

Seems like he was breaking a few laws. One of thousands every year. The one and only hope for protecting the catfish species in NC, is to get them classified as a game fish. I would say leave the Channels, White's and Bullheads out of it, so the few people on the planet that think catfish meat is as good as it gets have something to sell to like minded folks. Flatheads and Blues could remain and become more of a sport fishing species. Thw NCWRC could implement seasons in certain areas to help reduce numbers when necessary.....fluid fisheries management...works on other species just fine.

Attached Files:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    So thats what those cages are!! Dang!! I have nine of them at my house if anyone wants them. I pull them up and sell them for scrape metal. Getting
    $200/ton...

12. catfish4fun

catfish4fun New Member

State:
    nc
    south carolina fines $500 to $1000 or 6 months in jail they have a size limit of 5 and half feet high by 16 feet

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Take pictures and call the Mounties !! You can get shot raiding traps.

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Traps with a name attached are just that, fish traps.

Pieces of wire bound together that resemble fish traps that have been abandoned with no name attached are litter and can be sold for scrape metal. :smile2:

15. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Live Baiter what area did you see this in on Badin if you don't mind me asking? Do you remember what kind of boat he was in. There's just no excuse for that. Hope I run across those things.

16. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was over on the other side from Old whitley. I did get the number off the side of the boat. ( NC-8421-BB)

17. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have seen this boat on both sides of the lake. Its a 14 foot plan white boat with a little black motor. If he sees you come near him, he will stop what he is doing untill you go by. ( prick)

18. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    fish traps are perfectly legal on Badin too. I doubt from what you said that the trap was marked correctly, but he could easily fix that with a float and some engraving. I personally think that fish traps should be regulated a bit more. Right now, you can set as many as you want, anytime of the year you want, and keep as many catfish of any size that you want, all with a 10 dollar license. Pretty good gig if you can find a few people to buy your fish.

The only reason it is not a bigger problem, is the fact that more people are not taking advantage of the lax rules. I do wish that they would allow it on Jordan Lake for a few years.......the small White cats are about to ruin that place.

There is a number on the back of every fishing license to call in violations. There is a 99.9% chance that they will not respond in a timely manner, just not enough manpower. However, they do log those calls and if enough come in, things will get done. It is always worth the call.

19. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    The trick is not to eliminate traps, but make their use more of a pain than it is worth.

20. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

It appears to me that if you use more than three traps, a commercial special device license is required which costs $100. Look here and see what you think.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_01_license.htm