Gill net lessons...learned

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Feb 1, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Well I'm getting ready to purchase my gill net thanks to the great information from the BOC exp. "justlearning".

I read on a site about a guy getting hung up and pulled overboard. I was just looking for some lessons learned the hard way or some tips that you guys have learned that you wish someone would of have told you before you used yours the first couple of times. Little tricks like the tool Chris "powhatan" uses to extract the fish from the net.

Thanks in advance.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The best tip i can offer if get an ice pick and file a notch in it similar to a barb on a hook. This will help immensely removing fish. Also id you plan on fishing flooded backwater, a mono net won't collect as much trash as a nylon net. Cockle burs love a trammel or gill net.

3. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    Buy a "net pick" and a half dozen "speed clips" (both are cheap) when you order your net. Run the line through the bullet buoys and then through an empty fishing line spool and knot above the spool. This allows you to use the buoys like slip bobbers and you'll never sink your buoys. Don't forget to secure the excess rope for safety reasons. Store net in a rubbermaid container with holes drilled in it. Try and get the net as clean and dry as possible before storing for an extended period.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    How big of a float do you use on your gill nets ? I was wondering of a Wild Wolf Jug would not work better? As it has a spool to adjust the length of line that is out. Can build them as long as you need to support the net. Also store the line back on the spool. Also can put glow sticks in the jugs if getting bait at night time.
    Just a thought. Also There listed in half dozen and guessing I can make up a 4 pack kit of how ever many is needed?
    Pete
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/jugmake.htm
    Below is a link to a picture of a smaller one.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Wildwolfproducts/crappiejugs01.jpg
    Here is a picture of a 12" float but gives you an ideal of what one would look like.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Wildwolfproducts/crappiejugs01.jpg

5. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    justlearning uses a pole with a hook on the end to retrieve the end loop instead of having to reach in the water for it. what i have found is that a lot of people have front rod mounts in the boats( me included) and they get in the way when pulling in the net. that net will hang on anything. a 5 gallon bucket works good to toss cutters in as you get them from the net. some guys have gone to 100 ft nets but i am still learning to use the 50 ftr. good luck and have fun.

6. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    15" X 6.5" bullet style buoys are the most commonly used. The buoys mostly serve to mark the ends of the net and hopefully keep people from running over your net. I use one buoy every 50' of net. Noodles would probably work, but I would suggest they be rather long for visibility and the spool needs to be big enough for a 3/8" rope. I like the glow stick idea, I've been using reflector tape and a spotlight.

Muzkrat's suggestion of a pole and hook is a great one. A paint roller with the roller removed works great for this purpose. Best of Luck.

7. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    The tip i would give is always put it away There's more a chance of triping and falling over board with it wrapped around your feet :crazy:than getting pulled in.....let me know when you get it ..we will take the toon out and try it:tounge_out:

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I keep mine in a Walmart Tub with lots of holes drilled in it to drain water. Good Idea is after catching your bait, take the tub back to the ramp and put it in your truck if you have a secure camper shell, trunk, or cargo area. I drive a Suburban. My boat is 20 feet long and I hate the extra clutter the Gill Net tub creates. Its bad with two people and horrible when I have three people in the boat.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That's exactly what I've been doing. My boat is even smaller, and with the big tub, it's right back to the ramp after I get bait.

10. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Rick I will do just that, after seeing you and Chris on that cold day sitting back inside like to old men on a porch down in Fort Lauderdale on a warm day, I'll supply the adult beverages.:smile2:
    You'll learn, dont invite me; cause I'll come!

Thanks for the pointers guys.

11. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    This is a great thread. I, too, am just learning to use the gill net. I've picked up quite a few pointers from this thread alone. Thanks to all who have taken the time to add to it.

Tight lines.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think I might be the only guy here that uses a net that places it parallel with the current. I do this so the net doesn't get filled up with trash, leaves, twigs, and whatever coming downstream I use old cast iron window weights for my anchors. If I were to set the net cross current the net would tend to walk towards each others ends and I would end up with a U shape. When I lived in Va Beach in 1980, I used to set a Gill Net in Linkhorne bay for spot and trout each fall. An old waterman told me to set my net parallel to the current so it would stay clean. He argued that fish won't swim in a dirty net. I don't know for sure but I do catch my bait pretty easy. Good luck.

13. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I never pick up any trash in my net going across the current..but I do recommend knowing what is on the bottom.. a net can and will get hung up to the point that you have to cut it loose.. Lost a new net that way.