gill and red ear bait?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by beakus, Feb 10, 2008.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i was thinking about trying wax worms(bee moths) and meal worms anybody had any luck with these little guys?i cant find them anywhere around here except at the pet store,back in indiana thats all they used ws wax worms,are there any other little tricks anybody want to offer?

2. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    use a small ratfinkee and a wax worm here in utah thats almost all i use and i catch gills by the hundreds. the rat finkee only ways abut 1/100th of an ounce though. fish it just above the weeds because they will mostly go up for the food instead of down. then wait until one hits it then reel it up. good luck and hope you catch a bunch.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yup its pretty much bee moth, meal worms, or small bits of night crawlers here in Indiana. For artificial bait, small beetlespins will trigger some agressive strikes when they are on the beds.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can raise your own maggots using damp corn meal.just let it sour and they will come.

5. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man those little boogers will bite anything around here, but if i wanna catch mass amounts of them quick, i just use tiny pieces of hotdogs, worms, meal worms, maggots, boloney are all my top choices. Cheap and effective!

6. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    you can buy a jar of Berkley Gulp maggots.
    the gills just love them. Tons in a jar and you can catch more than one
    fish with just one maggot.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Thats the tickett here Jon, You can always order yourself a big box of them, I think it was cabelas and others had like 500 count box for $20 sum bucks....... But thats the deal here all year long! Waxy and small jig :wink: Sorry Cabelas is like 35.00 but this is on ebay if your wanting an order Item number: 360022283895 500 for 25 -26 bucks free shipping....

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you're dealing with good shellie(redear) waters, don't disregard whole nightcrawlers, I've caught shellies close to 2lbs. on whole crawlers. I have noticed that since I moved south from Iowa to North Carolina, waxworms are hard to come by, but then again, I only used them in winter ice fishing. Redworms, however are a good go-to for 'gills and smaller shellies. Both will hit a mixture of baits from doughballs to artificials though.

I'll give the nod to the Gulp or powerbait maggots/worms. It's the only freshwater Gulp I've had any luck with, and untill this thread came up I comepletely forgot about it.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    red worms, night crawlers, maggots, and tiny pieces of cchicken liver out here.

10. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Beemoths and crickets are mainly what I use for panfish. Occasionaly I'll use a spinner or some type of worm.

11. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Around here bluegills will eat anything in the water. Meal worms and wax worms work the best. Shoot I have seen them eat garbage on top of the water. They are not took picky in my area.

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I usually just buy some worms from Wal-Mart. Gills here can NOT resist them. I use a #10 long shank hook with a piece of worm just small enough to cover the bend in the hook, put it under a bobber, and you're in business! If you are feeling really cheap, you can buy canned corn, but my experience says you have to know right where they are, and my best luck was fishing it without a bobber. Good luck!

13. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Small weighted cork, small gold hook and wax worm without a sinker when they are in the nesting months. Other months use wax worm on the smallest Popeye jig (alway black for me) you can find or make.

The redear are tougher. We used to catch monsters up in Indiana using the Popeye jig and wax worm and almost always caught them deeper than the Gils. I have used crickets, redworms, night crawlers, meal worms and by far the best bait has been wax worms with crickets being a close second. I liked the crickets because it seemed to get more bites from Channels and Bass while Gil fishing than any other bait I have used. But they are costly and one cricket equals one fish if you are lucky.

14. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Any kind of worm or insect that stays on the hook and Yakima bait company makes a rooster jig thats good also.

15. Brent Nickel

Brent Nickel New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Around here they will hit on just about anything. Sometimes even a bare hook.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I mainly use Small redworms, mealworms, or crickets.:big_smile:

17. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    I get most of mine off or near the bottom, using whatever for bait and a #8 J-hook.
    When I fish under a bobber, green sunnies or bluegill seem to get to it quicker.

People say redear like eating snails off the bottom, so I wonder if slugs would work especially well. . . .

As it is, I've got 'em on little redworm, bits of nightcrawler, biscuit dough, some catapillar that was near my tacklebox, various bugs, etc.
    I think they eat whatever happens along.

18. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Red grasshoppers when in season and nightcrawler heads are my choice with as small of true turn hook as u can find a light splitshot and a tip up bobber.

19. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    everytime i go bluegill fishing i always use wax worms and always catch a ton of blue gill

20. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    AROUND HERE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING.CRICKETS& WORMS MOST COMMON