gila river.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by catfishhunter007, Jun 23, 2009.

1. catfishhunter007

catfishhunter007 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Whats up everybody. anybody been fishing the gila river near wikelman lately. i been hearing stories of alot of ppl pull 20 to 30 lb flats outta there.

2. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I'm planning on heading up there this weekend to check it out. Can't seem to find too much info on the area though. I drive past there every year heading up to the Black river and always wanted to go check it out. I'm thinkin about goin up Saturday night after work and stayin overnight. I'll post results when I get back and hopefully a couple pics too. :)

3. frontier13

frontier13 New Member

State:
    arizona
    thats crazy my fishin buddy and i were just talking about going down there but he went to tuscon yesterday and i guess the road coming from show low side through globe is closed

4. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Do you know where the road is closed at? My buddy is heading up to the white mountains in a couple weeks. yea I've never been to the Gila. just goin to check it out. Tryin to talk my brother into leaving at night after work.

5. frontier13

frontier13 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yeah i live in show low i beleive its closed for road construction between globe and there sorry dont have more info my buddy didnt say

6. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    The road is down to one lane just north of Winkelman. We went to the Shores because it was 10:00pm and dark when we got there. It is a decent spot for campin but kinda messy with more stuff on the ground than in the trash cans.:angry:
    The water flows really fast there. My brother managed to catch 2 little channels. Me = nothing. I plan on going back and trying to find a spot some guy told me about. There was this cool spot where the water was only about 6 inches deep. There were quite a few 6+ inch channels zippin back and forth catching little mosquito fish and baby fish I couldn't ID. He caught his fish in a hole just downstream from there. No bites from anything else but still just as fun.

7. catfishhunter007

catfishhunter007 New Member

State:
    arizona
    went out last week and caught a 10 lb flat head in the gila near winkelman. a friend of mine caught a 22 and a 19 lber. theres lots of action at any time of day.

8. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Went back over the weekend again but to a different spot. Caught some shiners for bait. my bro caught 2 eater size channels and a turtle. All I got was the little guy in my avatar. My first flattie and hopefully the smallest.:wink:

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    ha!!! got you beat. LOL. here's my grandson's first flathead. he was three then.

[​IMG]
    gary

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  10. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Wow. I didn't know they came that small. that's awesome:smile2:

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i honestly had never seen one that small either, but was prouder than heck of cody. now if i can figure out how to make picture larger?
    gary

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009