Giggling like schools girls once again. James River report 14 Dec 09

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat69, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    So once again Kdrennon7 and myself skipped out of work to get some much needed stress relief in. We launched around 1pm from Dutch Gap and went to our favorite bait spot. One soak of the net and we had plenty of nice cutters.
    Our first spot we marked tons of bait and fish so we got set up and then the fun started. We started to catch some respectable fish from 10-20 lbs then it just seemed to go crazy after that. First picture worthy fish was a 45 lber that had that attitude that "I will come to the boat but once I get there I will not come off the bottom'. Finally got him in the boat, picture taken and released when another rod goes down. 50 lber that had tons of attitude from the time he figured out that he had a hook in his mouth to the time he was released. While I was getting (trying to get) my photo taken with him Kenny was saying you need to hurry up cause the two rods behind have fish on them. If you notice in one of the pics that there is a rod behind me that is in the process of doubling over.
    We caught a few more smaller ones at that spot then decided to move on. Our next spot was in a channel with an outgoing tide. We never caught a fish under 20 lbs at this spot. Kenny tied into one that said, "No I am not coming to the boat and you can't make me", drag peeling off the reel and all until he finally broke the leader (60lb mono). Oh by the way, thats the 3rd time in 3 weeks that we have been in that situation.
    Kenny boated a 42 lber, we got the pic and released him. No sooner had we put the head lamp up and stowed the net away another rod went down. While I was fighting that fish the rod next to me bent over double with drag peelin off. Kenny grabbed that rod and I got my fish to the boat and his was very close when he asked, "Where's the net and light?". I put my rod back in the holder with a 30+ lber on it with plenty of life left in him and finally got everything ready to land these fish. I scouped up his 30+ fish and put him in the bottom of the boat then we got my fish in. We could do nothing but laugh.
    All said and done we fished from about 1:30 pm to 6:30 pm with a 50, 45, 42, at least 12 30-40lber and we lost count at 23 of the 30lbers and down. What a heck of a stress reliever.

I will post pics later on today. My work computer is being stupid.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Excellent report Mike. It's been a great last couple days fishing from what I've heard around. Look forward to the pics.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Another excellent trip report! Thanks for posting

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congratulations. Me thinks a river trip is in order!

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Great report.
    For many, that would be the trip of a life time but on the James it seems days like that are not a rarity. You guys are blessed...W

6. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Agreed, I live to close to pass this up. I HAVE to make a trip down there. Just have to make the time.

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats Mike, Hey mug you only told me about the 2 you didnt tell me about the others :smile2: good stuff, cant wait for friday

8. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Ramon,
    Sorry dude, we was just little busy.
    Thanks everyone. It was one heck of a day.
    Check out that rod to my left on the second pic. It was bent over and startin to pull drag.

Attached Files:

• 1-1.jpg
      1-1.jpg
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
  9. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    The last of the photos. It got dark on us and that blackberry don't take the best photos in low light conditions (yeap we forgot the real camera).
    Ramon, added a bonus pic of your 49 lber that we caught last week. Hope that makes it all better. lol

Attached Files:

10. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    nice pics thanks for shareing....:big_smile:

11. jcat61

jcat61 Guest

Good job Mike!! It's been insane lately!! Sunday, during the tourney, I don't think Don Sweet and I had a chance to sit down all day!! See you this Sunday at the JRCC tourney! Game on!!:smile2:

12. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Jason,
    Game on is right. I think I actually sat down twice and both time I was hiding behind the windshield at 35 mph :smile2:. See ya there.
    PS Thanks man.

13. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    Great fish and trip! I'm getting the sakes reading about this...I'll have to plan to head down this weekend!

14. bigcattracker

bigcattracker Member

State:
    virginia
    Sounds like an awesome trip.
    Congrats
    I had planned on being down there but the guy planning on going said he was sick. I bet he's gonna feel sick when I tell him about your trip. How much trash was in the river?

15. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Trash was thick in the river but I was out of the main channel. I know my limits and don't want to push them.

16. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    sounds like you had them dialed in congrats on good day of fishing

17. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    Congrats....That is awesome, glad you guys had such a great day again!!!

18. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Holy cow!!! I never thaught anything could make me want to go NORTH:wink: but the James might change my mind. Congrtas:smile2::smile2:

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like a great time,, Thanks for the story and pics!!:big_smile: