Gigging

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by koakley1, Oct 21, 2007.

1. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Effective January 1, 2008:

Gigging approved as legal method for taking non-sport fish.
    5-fish creel limit on blue catfish on Wilson reservoir.
    A 35 inch length limit for blue catfish on Wilson, Cheney, and El Dorado reservoirs.

2. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    what is gigging?

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Since when are Bluecatfish not considered sport fish, except by people who don't fish for them.
    Gigging is using (usually) a three pronged gig (fork) mounted on the end of a pole, used to spear frogs, why someone would want to spear Catfish is beyond my comprehension.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    cant say ive seen cats get close enough for that, unless they are already hooked. not shure how i feel about that:confused2: i guess it would be a way of getting some bait:big_smile: but then again it would be something else to carry:confused2:. what is gigging? kind of like harpooning.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I believe he was talking about three separate new regulations... gigging catfish isn't what he meant.

Hey Jim, Hows the fishing on Milford been?

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well looking at the 2007 rule book gigging non sport fish is already legal:confused2:

7. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I think he was encouraging Kansas' fishermen to gig big bait and hit those resiviours mentioned because of the larger lenght limits chances of bigger fish will increase.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Steve, I realize that now, but the way it was written, to me it read like Blues were considered nonsport fish and could be gigged at Wilson, along with the number you could gig and their length limits at the different resevoirs.

We've been having our good/poor days, fishing's been best on the river though, up in the area you seen me and Jerald fishing the last time. Last Sunday we caught 17, 1Blue, the rest Channels, all just eater size.

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kevin, I apologize for the comments I posted as a result of having misead your post.

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Interesting--but the doctors still won't let me play with sharp objects.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    yeppa,Would you please state the relevance of your post to this thread, thanks.

12. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sorry guys, I should have worded my post more clearly. They are three seperate new regulations. I would have posted that earlier but I just got back from working in Iowa.

13. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I thought news on new regs would be helpful.

14. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It was a (obviously poor) joke about the gigging, and an attempt to lighten the mood on what I viewed as a misunderstanding. MY BAD

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, I owe you an apology too!:embarassed:I had it pointed out to me today while me and Jerald were fishing. After he screwed my head on around straight, I see the humor in you post now. I'll read the post's 3 or 4 times now before I make a retort next time.:wink:
    One of these days you guy's will get old too:smile2:

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim you are always causing trouble... I remember you telling me that yourself. Just kidding. I guess I have to apologize too, my comment didn't read like I meant it. Sorry if it sounded rude. Wasn't meant that way... I had read about the new rule changes a few days before this post started and I knew what he meant and I was just trying to clarify.

17. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    No problem Jim. If I could catch some decent fish---then maybe I could quit posting weak humor.

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Steve, no need to apologize, I kinda understood your post, LOL, I never considered it to be rude.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, would it really be more humorous if you were to catch a decent fish?:smile2: Actually, I should have gotten the "point" of your humorous post anyway ,:wink:

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, forgot to ask, do you know Renee Shumway, he runs, or used to at least a fishing guide service in Topeka. He goes by the name Catdaddy.