Gigging on the Tippecanoe River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by flathead20000, Feb 2, 2007.

1. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Has anyone tried gigging on the Tippecanoe yet. We went out last week and got a couple of redtails and a carp, but water conditions were horrible. Really couldn't see a thing. Thinking about going out again next week with the water dropping along with the temps. the water should clear up. Just wanting to know if anyone else was having success.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i havent gigged anything since i was a kid bro. the water shoulda cleared up for you by now with this cold. what do you do with the carp n sucker you get?

3. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I have a buddy who eats every sucker that we get. Any of the carp we get I usually take and fillet them then chunk them up in one inch cubes then freeze to use as channel bait in the spring!!! I have tried the suckers, and they are really good but you have to know how to scor them right or they are extremely boney!! Thanks, I was begining to wonder if I would ever get a response. The river has cleared up a lot, but now we are dealing with a lot of skim ice. I think we are still going to try and get out this week after the blizzard hits. Stay warm and stay safe!!!!!!!

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes i have scored and fryed sucker in the past. they were very good tasting too! good luck in the blizzard bro. dont gigg yer foot lol

5. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    what is gigging?

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    gary, its stabing fish with a spear,like frog giging. you can only gigg rash fish like sucker n carp.

7. basstracker 1

basstracker 1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    used to do some noodlin but never any giggin sounds like fun

8. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I saw that there was finally some interest in this. Last week when it warmed up, we got over 100 suckers one night and over 50 the next. It was awesome, the night air was comfortable and the river was super clear the first night. The second night it clouded up from the dam being opened. Thats the only reason we didn't get 100 at least the second night. Already had two sucker frys, and believe me they were awesome!!! Oh yeah, had a beer too. It was alright, but they kept getting better. Fish and beer is hard to beat. Any Questions?????

9. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Sounds like a blast. Do you spot them with a light and chase them or sit quiet in the dark and wait for them to get close? How's it work?

10. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    We use a boat and just creep up river while one guy shines a light under water the other uses the gig. You don't have to chase them because for the most part with the water being so cold they are pretty lazy and won't move much. I will say that it is amazing how many suckers there are in the Tippecanoe. It is absolutely loaded, and your right, it is a blast!!!

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ive never done it but sure sounds like a blast.... But i have gigged frogs before... so im sure it is the same concept...

12. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    hey flathead 20000
    I'm on the east side of lafayette and i'm going have to try that ! IT sounds like a blast .

13. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    hey fellas im from SC and i do a lot of flounder gigging except we have two lights mounted on the front of our flat bottom jon boat that sit under the water, and push ourselves along slowly with the gigs in the shallows its a great time and we also catch blue crab its also cool cause it gives me time to spend with my dad and we see a lot of cool things in the inlets sharks, sea snakes, red fish, clams ,oysters exc...