Gigging - Every throw with his spear this guy hits a sucker fish.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SHOWME, Dec 13, 2008.

1. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Well I got invited to go gigging here in SW Missouri last night:eek:oooh: Never been, always wondered about all the whys and whatfors on this subject and now I can say I've gigged my first sucker:smile2:
    We went down on the James river, the full moon, clean water, NO WIND, it was just great, this guy has a light that fits across his bow that has 8 coleman lantern mantels and it shines down in front and really lights up the place,never seen nothing like it before either, course I'm the rookie.
    Every throw with his spear this guy hits a sucker, well almost, it took me forever to finally get one, my fishing buddy was really good also. In a hour we had 57 suckers and headed home for the fish fry.
    We cleaned the fish, he scorded the suckers, fried taters and onions and then the fish and man you thought you died and gone to heaven never had sucker before either and they ARE GREAT. What a wonderful evening on the water doing something I'd never done before but I will do it again:wink:

2. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I'm glad somebody else does this. I usually go 1-2 times a week. Its a blast and they taste great. Bob if ya want to go sometime just send me a pm and we will get together. Fun times on the water. Reps to ya for the story.

3. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Josh, this guy goes a couple times a week too!:tounge_out: I think we lucked out with the perfect weather though, I can't imagine going out when it's cold as hell and the wind blowing:embarassed: I think that's when I'll get out a bag of crappie from the freezer and hope for better weather although I have the gear for the coldest weather. I sure did have a great time on the river though, thanks for the invite let me know the next time you go an I'll see what I can do:big_smile:

4. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Well I went gigging last night with a few friends. Couldn't ask for a better night. The wind was calm and it wasn't that cold. We all got our limit. We had 100 total. There was fish everywhere but the water was kinda dirty with moss. Boy were they tasty. Cleaned them all and cooked some of them right on the river bank along with some french fries. Had a great night on the river with friends.

Sorry Bob didn't have time to let you know. I will try next time. Your always welcome around our fire. See you guys on the water.

5. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Sounds like a great time. glad you gigged your first fish. Its too cold up here to gig right now.

6. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've always wanted to gigging. For the past two years my father in law has said he wanted to go, but he never gets around to it. Glad to hear you were successful your first trip. Josh, how's everything goin?

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Sounds like you guys are haveing a great congrats and enjoy the catch

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Gotta love fresh fried suckers. We've done pretty good this year every time we have went. The water in our favorite hole has been incredibly clear all season. We've been able to see fish that were too deep to even try to gig, which is around the 10 foot mark.

We were wanting to make another trip while everybody was still on their xmas break, but looks like the rivers are pretty high and muddy now. :embarassed:

9. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Well went gigging again last night. Had a great time. We had some friends in from Nebraska and one up from around the Iowa boarder. It was a great night to be out unseasonably warm but the water was dingy from the recent rains. Didn't find a lot of fish but we had enough to eat anyway. We had some good times gigging and a great BS session around the campfire while eating. Might try it again tonight. You guys really need to try this. Its a blast.