gigging carp and buffalo

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishscotty, Jan 20, 2008.

1. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    been a few years now sence i giged a mess of carp and baffalo any body else do it in the spring floods ???? dam thats fun me and my oldest brother would see who could gig the most down at feaster branch, colecamp creek, turkey creek, the last time i went we had a blast in that little channel that runs back north under 65 bridge once u get back there it opens up and lots of good weeds and shallow mud bottoms hundreds of carp and baffalo back there at times. we canned some of them and fed the rest to the hogs. have you ever tried to wade in water with 15 foot stringers of 10 to 40 pound fish tied around your waiste ??????? what a blast who else has done it out there??

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Scotty you are on it.......When I was a wee lill lad I use to go snag carp and boffalo....202 zebco strung with 20lb mono and I have stripped some reels out as a kid.....been pulled to thy edge.......Them fish are the fighters and those of us who have experienced it know go big or stay home its just a carp:wink:.....Brother you have my adrenilin giong.....WHOOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Scored and smoked to Sammeys meat market perfection is a memorey/dream of thy past.......man bro have I some things to say but.....................words are nothin at this piont tis all bout the catch.................:tounge_out::crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:
    Man thats roots and fishing!!!!!!

4. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    cool kenny glad you shared that fun fun fun !!!!!!

ok come on guys and gals, dont tell me only 2 REDNECKS in missouri:eek:oooh: maybe i was born in the wrong generation. any more river rats out there ???????

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sounds like fun:smile2:

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Scott see any big shad up in that backwater

7. jdorton

jdorton New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i live in delaware county in ok, giggin is legal year round, white bass are also legal to gig, big sport here and everybody goes. i can launch my giggin boat right off the dock. its hard 2 beat. right now we are giggin suckers out of the river, mostly hog mollys and red horse. good 2 see you missouri guys gig also

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Years ago, my Grandfather and I used to get them with a pitch fork with a long handle on it.

9. jdorton

jdorton New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ya vince, i started with my grandfather and am still going, only he didnt have 2000 watts of light and a generator, i dont know if i have more fun or just another motor to fix.

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    One of the best times I've ever had on the water was night gigging for redhorse and hogsuckers in the Ozarks, back when I was in high school.

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    eh, got a question, what the hecks a buffalo? are they like a carp?

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use to wade and shoot with a bow and arrow..that was always a lot of fun too.

13. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    eh, got a question, what the hecks a buffalo? are they like a carp?

yes a buffalo looks like a carp but they are grey in color and white meat pretty dam good eating.

14. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    You got that right Scottie, I don't like all the bones but if you score them right and deep fry them they are pretty darn good.

15. Reb54

Reb54 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like Carp, they are lot better when you get them from cold clear water.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I used to slay the carp by the dozens in the springtime, bow fishing while wading in the slough on the northwest end of the old swinging bridge in Warsaw. We got into the gar pretty good one time too - filled up the entire floor of a 16 ft jon boat in a few hours one day. That was in the sloughs behind the island across from the harbor, back before there was a harbor or any levees and when the island was still an island...

And it's possible I might have been among a roving band of ne'er-do-wells who were known to take baseball bats to the carp in the slough behind the gunstock factory. Might not have been "proper" but it sure was a lot of fun, at least to a 13 year old... :wink:

17. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    hey marty did you get into the home maid spoons with big treble hooks and snag the carp , buffalo and spoonbill up at the dam when they ran water ????? spent hours after work and weekends doing that with 10 to 14 ft surf rods and 20 lb test line. o my god that was a blast even better at night when most went home. took most of the truck load home to feed the hogs cheap feed . canned alot also.

18. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    made not maid geeeeees where was spell check then ??????:crazy:

19. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I had not thought about that in years,I used to gig them every year in Michigan in the Huron river,what a blast that was.

20. paulp155

paulp155 New Member

State:
    Missouri, Bourbon
    i do alot of bow fishing for gar. i would rather eat them then buffalo because there is no bones. biggest gar so far is a 46" long nose out of the upper meramec.